STS Rear Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: STS Rear Turbo

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

the long tube idea will not cool as much as some people may think. There is not enough surface area or time spent in the tract to allow for proper cooling. This is why intercoolers have a massive surface area and allow air to pass through it. Pressurised air following a path close to a hot exhaust would negate any slight cooling that would take place.

More often on these setups the turbo is mounted in place of the muffler.. the intake is simply plumbed to a rear wheel well. Simple.
john1983
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by john1983 »

imo having your intake in your wheel well seems like a bad location wouldnt this cause problems in inclamate weather
92 MX-3 6cyl dohc 24 valve K8 cold air filter custom exhaust drift body kit carbon fiber hood 17" focal rims Kenwood KDC-MP635 headunit Pioneer 6.5" componet door speakers and 4" rear speakers 500 watt boss amp powering 12" sony explod
My Work Logviewtopic.php?f=46&t=76603
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

it's not that the filter is in the wheel well.. that's where it get the air intake
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

Was reading through this topic, very intrested in the posibilties. Wondering if anyone ev ery thought of doing away with the spare tire hole in the trunk. Leveling that off would get rid of the clearance issue under the car and free up plenty of room. Just spitting ideas out.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

If you can fit that big @$$ OE muffler under the rear you can fit a turbo
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I had the same idea as Nd4SpdSe. You could also vent air around the intake tube for cooling.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

See my thought is most of these kits only run like 5 psi so with that long of a charge pipe why do you even need an intercooler? you just loose more boost. If I were doing it to get just a little extra our of my ride I would probably not use a IC and if I did I would use a side mount.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

HEY THIS WAS ME!!! LOL
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Just wanted to let u all know I will be reviving this topic soon. I have to decided to rebuild a K8 strengthen internals and such may even go as far as to twin charge using the Eaton as well. Ill have help on the drawn out project from a friend who successfully took a 1.5 4 cyl. Turbo supercharged using same Eaton m90 nitrous and alch/meth. More updates cming in a few months as I think I located a very low milage k8 as my base...
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

I've got something to top the STS Rear Turbo... for someone who doesn't mind the loud noise of a Sue-pa-cha-ga...

I'm an engineer by trade, and I do a LOT of mobile hydraulics.

So I got to thinking... If instead of having a supercharger mounted inconveniently in the engine bay, I could relocate it somewhere more useful, where I have considerably more space, access to fresh air, and I don't have to worry about going over a speed bump and losing my turbocharger.

Recently I replaced the rear passenger fender, and noticed the large amount of room behind the fender... easily enough to house a high speed Hydraulic Gearator Motor (Parker MGG20025), and a Nice Vortech V5 supercharger.

A couple hydraulic lines a nice little pump in replacement of the a/c unit, and a bit of tubing... and there you go, a remote Supercharger unit.

But it would be noisy.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's many, many flaws with that setup, but I'll give you the easy one...

0.58 cu in MGG20025-BA1B3
•3500 RPM max as pump
•5000 RPM max as motor

V-5 F Supercharger
•Max Speed: 52000 RPM
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

There would still need gearing between the motor and the supercharger. And you would use a larger volume pump, with a pressure release to prevent the motor from overrunning.
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

So we get a 10 - 1 ratio between the motor and the supercharger.
The motor has a torque rating of ~15 ft-lbs @ all RPMS. (Assuming constant/consistant pressure ~1500psi safely.)
Assuming that with a bypass flow control circuit we can keep the motor spinning at a constant operating rpm of 5000.
That makes it yield, 1.5 ft-lbs of torque to the supercharger @ 50,000rpm.
That motor would output 11hp to the supercharger... which is more than enough for a centrifugal.

Now the pump would require a higher flow rate, something around 1.5-1.8 cu in per rotation.
It too would be geared down from the engine, maybe around 2:1. So at 7000 engine RPM it's only at 3500 RPM.
Throughput would mean that the motor would rotate ~3 times for every rotation of the pump... so you get a 1:15 ratio engine speed to the supercharger... at 1000rpm the supercharger spins at 15000rpm.

Above 3300RPM, the flow control bypass would redirect some of the volume flow back through a hydraulic cooling rad and back to the pump, limiting the max RPM of the motor to 5000RPM, and the supercharger max RPM at 50,000.

Is this easier than a STS Turbo? GOD NO... not if you're unfamiliar with hydraulics. But you only have to run two hydraulic hoses (expensive and custom cut), and the air return.

You would also have to custom make a bracket with the gearing for the supercharger and hydraulic motor to mount to, and buy an off the shelf flow controler.
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

On top of all that there is a pumping loss resulting from the bypass (pump -> valve -> cooling unit -> pump) which is lost energy.

If the variable displacement pumps weren't so enormously big it would be a perfect solution, you could dial in the supercharger RPM based on engine loading and RPM.

But hey, this was just a thought experiment. Rebuttals are always welcome.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well bak to the rear mount turbo...traded off my m90 for a complete honda turbo kit...and I will be mounting the turbo where a muffler would go...I havnt had a muffler on my car since I got it...plenty of room. And I will have the intake for the turbo be where the spare tire is in the cabin...sealed off from thr elements..also the charge piping will runthru the car elemenating the need to place it next to the exhaust...all I need is the oil pump ...

Return to “Forced Induction”