STS Rear Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Posey24
antispam: No

STS Rear Turbo

Post by Posey24 »

I saw something about them a few years back and apparently they've been doing pretty welll i thought of using it for my my gs afte the kl swap...i saw them do it in a twin turbo setup on the new lexus IS-F and it looked pretty damn sweet... anythoughts or snide remarks are always appriciated.... jus input in general...
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: STS Rear Turbo

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

not familiar with the brand.. keep in mind you need an external oil pump, all custom work.. not as easy as you would think. There are also turbo kits for that engine already.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Is this, like a downstream turbo?

I totally love that idea. Huge sleeper potential.
Last edited by Ryan on August 24th, 2010, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Posey24

Post by Posey24 »

its exactly like that Ryan... its a great idea if someone wants to go crazy(like me) and put a twin turbo set up for the 2.5 v6 cuz it totally eliminates the problem of engine bay space as well as provide passive cooling becuz the turbo to intake piping is cooled via the air traveling under the car... jus for clarification and because i dont get but 15 min at a time on these computers Megasquirt is what everyone is using to tune these turbo KL's right...? and jus google search STS turbo and they'll pop up... they did a twin turbo set-up on a Lexus IS-F it was Sick....it was in Street Fire
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

It is indeed a very good idea. If you read up on the theories and results from people who have done it...

It doesn't lag because the volume between the turbo and intake is the same or less as an I/C. Also, the air doesn't lose velocity through the I/C

The only loss I can imagine would be the length of pipe between the turbo and the E/M, but then you don't need fancy headers anymore either, thats lots of $$$ saved, plus it keeps bay temps cooler.

Another bad is you need an auxilary oil pump for the return line.

A pro is you don't need a muffler. $$$.

Another bad is air filter locations are crappy.

but overall.. a sweet idea! I tink twin turbo-ing with that would have plenty of lag though... unless you put the turbo's face to face. I'd rather just have a single, well designed turbo.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I absolutely love the idea. Motivation to work harder on my own stuff... Not that my K8 acting more tired lately isn't enough motivation. I still hope I can save it, it's a good Engine and has put in 162+ thousand miles already... I drive it very hard considering, and until very recently it never gave any sign of problems.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mike Wakeham

Post by Mike Wakeham »

I've heard about remote turbos and the idea does sound great.

I remember reading about this on on Passion Ford which sparked my interest.

The guy stuck a 3 litre V6 Vauxhall (General Motors) engine into a Ford Ka and then the turbo in the trunk. Not sure if the project was ever finished though :(

http://passionford.com/forum/restoratio ... oject.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Toys:
Stock (for the moment) 1996 K8 MX-3 with CAI
1998 Suzuki GN 125cc (my learner bike!)
Soon Honda VFR 400 NC30(when I'm not a learner anymore!)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I hope this works out as well as it appears to. I'm not looking to buy their universal per-say, but scavenge some ideas. I do like the idea of cutting down on costs, and enabling myself to go the turbo route safely, without added risk to my car.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I'm not sure how much this would save you, or reduce risk to your car over a typical turbo setup
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

These systems have been on the market for 10+ years. They're not extremely popular because people have a hard time moving away from the conventional way of thinking. The major advantage of a setup like this is it's simplicity. You don't need special manifolds, most users don't run an intercooler which limits the amount of boost you can use safely but keeps the simplicity factor high.

Obviously this isn't going to be comparable to a front mounted T3/4 with a big intercooler, blah, blah, blah...but it won't cost as much either and is much easier to install. There's no elevated heat in the engine bay. Because of the length of the piping from the turbo to the intake 5psi would probably not require an intercooler. There are lots of upsides.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:I'm not sure how much this would save you, or reduce risk to your car over a typical turbo setup
Moneywise it would save a great deal, if the above posts are correct. As for reduced risk to the car, I should clarify. I meant moreso in regards to lower bay temps, more bay room(important to me), and fewer components to break. :P
wytbishop wrote:These systems have been on the market for 10+ years. They're not extremely popular because people have a hard time moving away from the conventional way of thinking. The major advantage of a setup like this is it's simplicity. You don't need special manifolds, most users don't run an intercooler which limits the amount of boost you can use safely but keeps the simplicity factor high.

Obviously this isn't going to be comparable to a front mounted T3/4 with a big intercooler, blah, blah, blah...but it won't cost as much either and is much easier to install. There's no elevated heat in the engine bay. Because of the length of the piping from the turbo to the intake 5psi would probably not require an intercooler. There are lots of upsides.
I'd heard about them previously, but never put much thought into it(lord only knows why), and I have nothing against being unconventional... hell, I prefer it! Most of my friends went VTEC, I went K Series. If easy and conventional mattered to me, I'd have a turbo'd CRX right now. I love the extra room in the bay, and I am wondering if this system would work for 15 PSI(maximum, not DD boost) with a small intercooler? Wondering if you'd happen to know that, off the top of your head.

Thanks!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

according to their website yes. They have a bunch of optional add ons for higer boost applications.

I would love it if someone would try this on an MX-3.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:according to their website yes. They have a bunch of optional add ons for higer boost applications.

I would love it if someone would try this on an MX-3.
Ah alright. That's comforting... I should have delved slightly deeper into their site. I mainly read the testimonials, which I found a little too upbeat. There was ZERO neutral/negative feedback. I wouldn't expect negative, as it's a testimonial(bad reviews = bad sales), however neutral points would be expected.

I'll likely go this route, pending more research. I LOVE the thought of keeping my engine bay clear. Sadly, you'll have to wait a while to see anything TB related coming from me. Funds permitting, I would do it now... Sadly, they aren't.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

MrMazda92 wrote: and fewer components to break. :P
How I see it, you have more components to break. You'd need the same components and the addition of an external oil pump. All these are under the car exposed to the conditions of the road.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote: and fewer components to break. :P
How I see it, you have more components to break. You'd need the same components and the addition of an external oil pump. All these are under the car exposed to the conditions of the road.
This would remove the need for headers + intercooler(assuming low boost) and would save a bit, although I'll give you the oil pump on that one. Didn't consider that when I wrote that.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Forced Induction”