Nitrous Interior Details

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
stratman1988
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Nitrous Interior Details

Post by stratman1988 »

Been dreaming for a while about a NOS fogger system and poking around the mx3 worklogs and noticed people haven't said too much about how they've altered the interiors of their cars when they installed a nitrous system. So I though I would pose a few questions to the people who have spray on their mx3's:
1. What kinds of safeties/limiters (throttle, rpm, etc.) did you install?
2. Did you install a purge system? Do you need one?
3. What switches/lights did you use and where did you mount them?
4. Where/How did you mount the bottle?
Feel free to tell about all the little details of your nitrous install, what you chose (Brand, Wet/Dry) and your experiences/problems installing and running the system. More pics the better! :)
'93 Blaze Red MX-3 SE
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Nitrous Interior Details

Post by Josh »

stratman1988 wrote:Been dreaming for a while about a NOS fogger system and poking around the mx3 worklogs and noticed people haven't said too much about how they've altered the interiors of their cars when they installed a nitrous system. So I though I would pose a few questions to the people who have spray on their mx3's:
Feel free to tell about all the little details of your nitrous install, what you chose (Brand, Wet/Dry) and your experiences/problems installing and running the system. More pics the better! :)
There may be some older ones I know some have put in like a F1 safety toggle switch.

1 - usually there is a switch that you mount to you gas pedal or TB that will only allow NOS at WOT.
2 - You dont need one, but you can get air in the lines and that can cause hiccups while using it.
3 - I do not have any real switches for mine, some purge kits come with an LED to light up the purge.
4 - Usually in the hatch is where most mount it. The bottle comes with a decent bottle mount. just bolts to the floor.

There are some work logs with installs. IMO I would only go with a WET kit. otherwise you need to add additional fuel to the system as well. Sorry no pics of mine as I have uninstalled it for the time being :(
stratman1988
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by stratman1988 »

I see it seems to me that movies/videogames showing a momentary button on the steering wheel is not generally correct. Instead a nitrous system can be wired with an arm and WOT switch such that when the system is armed you will automatically get the nitrous boost at WOT. That also allows you to safely shift gears without juggling a nitrous button in the mix as well.
'93 Blaze Red MX-3 SE
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well how I have normally seen it on a street car is with 3 switches.

Usually a switch on the TB or gas pedal to allow to only be used while at WOT, then an on/off toggle in the car and a button on the wheel or on the dash. Now you can wire it up with as many switches as you like but you dont want to hit it usually in 1st gear so thats why the switch on the steering wheel, so you can hit it when you need to.
kudkudniyog

Post by kudkudniyog »

I have the following switches/button for my NOS system:

1. System "armed" switch.
2. Auto switch
3. Spray button
4. WOT microswitch

The auto switch bypasses the spray button for automatic spray at WOT. The WOT microswitch is mounted near the throttle body. I also installed a 10 second timer to shut-off the NOS system after 10 seconds of continous spray. Just a safety feature I added to protect the engine.

Alex
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

stratman1988 wrote:Been dreaming for a while about a NOS fogger system and poking around the mx3 worklogs and noticed people haven't said too much about how they've altered the interiors of their cars when they installed a nitrous system. So I though I would pose a few questions to the people who have spray on their mx3's:
1. No safety, just tied system into TPS so when it hit's WOT your spraying.
2. In my opinion purge systems are lame and a waste of time,money and nitrous unless racing professionally.
3. Missile switch on center dash/console, I had a custom plate made up for the cubby hole with gauges and switches.
4. I had a board under the carpet in the trunk, the bottles typically come with brackets which you can screw down, a lot of people just screw them right to the trunk floor with self tapping screws

My experience:

Had a zex dry kit at first on the k8 but the clutch couldn't hold it. They are nice little units tied into your throttle position sensor. Swapped a KLZE and modded the zex kit into a wet system, sprayed a 75 shot on the ZE and it was great. Blew people away at the race track.

Cons: Nitrous where i live is costly, it's also inconsistent when your bottle pressure drops so do your times, yes there are bottle warmers but I don't trust em.

It's initial cost is quite low, but it's the refills that add up... aside from that it's a blast!

Return to “Forced Induction”