paint question

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Edgar7654
antispam: No

paint question

Post by Edgar7654 »

i want to paint my car im 18 so no i have never done this before but have been it done once my question is will this paint last a good 3- 5 years if treated right? my car is already primered by the last owner he was ready to paint it and his clutch went out so i got the car put rear and front main seals new starter alternator water pump and battery got her running oh and clutch here is the link to what im looking at buying also how hard would it be to shoot this paint for a first timer? dont have alot of money for Urethane paint

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Apple-Red ... 221wt_1274
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: paint question

Post by mitmaks »

This paint wont last long. However you can put clear coat over it and it will last much longer.
As far as painting it yourself you're better off letting someone else do it, who's experienced, has tools, spray booth and most important painting skill.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

To put up a clear coat on it you must sand the surface first with 2000p or you just throw it over the glossy color?
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

DeadMaker wrote:To put up a clear coat on it you must sand the surface first with 2000p or you just throw it over the glossy color?
If you're painting it, you can usually clear coat over top of paint within 1/2 hr to overnight. I usually clear coat within first 30-45mins after painting the car. If you want to put clear coat over entire car and it's already has been previously painted you'd want to wetsand entire car with 800grit. That is only if paint is in good condition, there's no missing/delaminated clear coat, etc.
If you have delaminated clear coat, the base (actual paint) underneath is already damaged cause it has been exposed to sun. You must sand with 400-600 and put couple coats of paint on the panel and then clear over that.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

But when it comes for a singles stage?For example i want to paint my hood with acrylic enamel(can't offer money for polyurethane),can i sand it after two or three days with 800p and then put the clear coat?Rather than put it over the glossy surface..
I am asking these cause i don't have a close room for painting so by sanding it i will have a chance to get rid off any dust from the air.
And btw i don't have a polish machine...
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you have to paint outside paint first thing in the morning. Bugs are gone and every thing is damp with dew so dust is minimal. Wet the ground down so the paint gun won't stir up dust. If you have close neighbors forget it as the paint mist can drift to them and then it's law suit time.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Appearance”