Big Brake Kit: Possible Group Buy?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Big Brake Kit: Possible Group Buy?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

we need some "middle of the road" solution that can be done a little cheaper. I found an option that the Miata guys have on etd:
http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/18-Mazd ... p_194.html

I would want to upgrade more than just the rotor though. Just like the idea, and the price is not too bad for the relocation kit.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It all comes down to the stock spindle. There is no convenient way to relocate the caliper or attach a different one because of the shape and position of the stock mounting tabs.

I would like to see pictures of the kit Fastbrakes has come up with.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wheel spacers would help with clearance on a budget build, cheaper than buying new wheels that is. :shrug: If I were planning to do this, that's a point I would not skip over.

The way I see it though, brakes can only be so good before you make skidding a real concern. Yeah, if you like to feather the pedal and stop on a dime, I can see the benefit. My concern is, how much is "too much" with brakes? Seriously, the cars stop decently enough with good tires and fresh pads, I can't imagine truly needing 4 piston calipers and a considerably larger rotor. I'm thinking the millenia/subaru fronts and a swapped brake master should yield solid benefits for almost any daily driver. If that doesn't sate your appetite, the MS Miata rears are available as well, although the rears are considerably less noticeable than the fronts, as you might expect.

Truth be told though, I have yet to race either of my cars, so for that target audience I can't really speak up. :shrug:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Thefez »

wytbishop wrote:It all comes down to the stock spindle. There is no convenient way to relocate the caliper or attach a different one because of the shape and position of the stock mounting tabs.

Well actually there is.. The zx2 and MX-3 share the same hub/knuckle, at one point in time there was a F/R BBK upgrade(wilwood caliper) for the zx2. Theres a few guys with the kit still on Teamzx2 Ill see if I can get some pics for you guys
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Its also a temperature issue. I can fade the crap out of my brakes after a few minuets of solid lapping.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Thefez wrote:
wytbishop wrote:It all comes down to the stock spindle. There is no convenient way to relocate the caliper or attach a different one because of the shape and position of the stock mounting tabs.

Well actually there is.. The zx2 and MX-3 share the same hub/knuckle, at one point in time there was a F/R BBK upgrade(wilwood caliper) for the zx2. Theres a few guys with the kit still on Teamzx2 Ill see if I can get some pics for you guys
Requires 18" rims or so I have just read on the ZXtuner forums.

18" = not convenient.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:Requires 18" rims or so I have just read on the ZXtuner forums.

18" = not convenient.
Let's not forget gross on these cars... :throwup:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

This is my MX-3 on 18x7 Racing Hart Evolutions not too bad
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

stereoking15 wrote:Image

This is my MX-3 on 18x7 Racing Hart Evolutions not too bad
Ya but the ride and damaging or breaking rims every time you hit a pot hole. Not for me.
Ryan wrote:Its also a temperature issue. I can fade the crap out of my brakes after a few minuets of solid lapping.
Ya, butt Ryan has Hobbit feet so his tapping is our slamming on. :P

I can see where our breaks can fall short when autocrossing. When mine where dragging just a bit the rotors started to glow pretty quick and fade big time.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I meant no offense stereoking, it's just my personal opinion on them. I think any large wheel with a tiny sidewall tire looks bad, I don't even like 17s on these cars.

Dan's right about ride quality too... It's fine if you drive on perfect roads though, not an option for me. The roads aren't terrible here, but they certainly aren't forgiving either.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:we need some "middle of the road" solution that can be done a little cheaper. I found an option that the Miata guys have on etd:
http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/18-Mazd ... p_194.html

I would want to upgrade more than just the rotor though. Just like the idea, and the price is not too bad for the relocation kit.
That's a great Price :)

The Corrado swap has been known for some time. I am glad someone has finally made a kit for this.

There are 323 guys who have fit 4 piston rx7 calipers in 15" wheels. depends on the rim and I believe the caliper needs a little grinding with a custom bracket but that's a HUGE improvement over the stock single piston caliper. I am completely surprised that no one has made a cheep affordable kit utilizing like corrado rotors and an rx7 caliper? with these parts readily available all a company would have to do is make a couple of brackets like the link above.

BTW this is the front upgrade I have had sitting around for ever waiting to go on my AWD car ;)

I see no point in spending over 1K for a brake upgrade when I can make the same brackets myself and buy the calipers and rotors separate and a better price. Just my 2 cents
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

i be down for the buy of the kit. if nothing comes up ill just do the rx7 front caliper install . since there 4 pistion also but small lol :shrug:
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

so do we have any easy options that involve swap from cars that are in the US and easy to source parts off of?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Thefez wrote:so do we have any easy options that involve swap from cars that are in the US and easy to source parts off of?
Nope.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
numba13

Post by numba13 »

Hey Guys! Here is an update from Fastbrakes:

Did the test fitting today with the 1 piece rotor, making minor changes in the brackets. Looks like this will be the final version:

12.4" 1 piece slotted/drilled rotors
Wilwood 4 piston calipers

We can make 2 versions, calipers with piston dust boots or calipers without dust boots.

Retail pricing is $1025 for dust booted caliper kits and $925 for non dust booted caliper kits.

Kits will contain all necessary parts for installation including braided steel brake hoses.

Group buy price, with minimum of 7 buyers will be $875 for dust boot kits and $785 for non dust booted kits.

Optional 2 piece rotor kits will be available for $225 with plain rotors or $450 with slotted & drilled rotors.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”