KLDE Swap Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Posey24
antispam: No

KLDE Swap Question

Post by Posey24 »

Hey guys been a long time. I miss my MX3 so much. I'm here in Vegas and can't find one V6 with the 5 Speed. My question is can the 5 speed from the 4 banger mate up to the KL or now? Also will the KL have any problems dropping into the 4 banger engine bay? All I can find here are 4 bangers with 5 Speeds or automatic V6s how hard would it be to put the 5 speed from another car into the Automatic? Ultimately ima have the 5 speed with a KLDE. Any and all input appriciated.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: KLDE Swap Question

Post by Daninski »

2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tbondo
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by tbondo »

I can say from personal experience it is alot of work to put the KL-DE in a 4 cyl MX-3. I am just completing this swap and it took much longer than I expected. I used the motor and 5 speed tranny from a probe gt and the engine wiring harness from a MX-3 gs. I still have a few bugs to work out but yes it is possible and it fits like a glove.
davmac

Post by davmac »

If your goal is KL w/ 5 spd then get a v6 and plan on transplanting both the engine and transmission. Expect some additional work and parts to do the manual conversion (linkage, pedal, clutch master and possibly axles). Do your homework with the earlier referenced link and you should be prepared. You might also continue the search and start with a v6 5 speed. They are around you just may have to wait to find one locally for the price you're willing to pay. Good luck.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

tbondo wrote:it fits like a glove.
Of course it does, the car is designed for it. The problem was never fitament, its the amount of stuff that needs to be replaced, basically a 4cyl-to-v6 converstion in the engine bay.

There's a whole thread with the shopping list on what parts you need for a 4cyl to v6 swap, but I can't seem to find it, but it's a big list. Ideally you would need a doner GS to have all the parts on hand.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”