No Spark After the distributor cap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: No Spark After the distributor cap

Post by Daninski »

Clean the corrosion off the center contact point on the rotor and it wouldn't hurt to check for continuity between the contact point in the middle and the arm on the rotor that sends power to the cap.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

i cleaned it all off, checked for continuity from the middle to the end, And theres continuity going through no problem.. What confueses me is theres power/spark going right up to the distributor to the coil/pick up coil... The only thing between the distributor and the cap is the rotor. And i tested for continuity in the cap and its there.. But my main concern is if i get a new rotor and it doesnt fix the problem, what could it be?
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

So i bought a new Rotor and cap.. And still have the same problem... Im getting power to the distributor, but its not shooting it through to the cap or the spark plugs.. What else can cause this problem>? Ive checked, computers, power wires, ground wires, ive tested for conitunity in the cap, ive tested the distributor for power/spark at the coil at the pick up coil.. Everything is working except the fact its not going to the spark plugs. the spark plug wires are good, no bad arc on any of them.... I dont know what else to do or test or what?.. Could it really be the Disty thou? EVen thou its doing everything its supposed to be doing
zackqw
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by zackqw »

:shock: Maybe your looking too hard at this situation.. step back and retrace all your wires you took off.. unplug and replug every wire going to the coil and disty.. bad contact in one of the plugs might be a possibility.. (My rx7 had this often >.<) Pull your disty off and clean it out.. pull the cap and rotor off and take it apart(IF U KNOW WHAT UR DOING) I did this to my v6 gs disty and it cleared my studdering up.. it could have gotten oil inside the disty witch wont allow spark to follow though.. and idk if u have a Crankshaft position sensor like a v6 does but if u do check that out.. make sure no cracks or oil on it.. (Mine was broken and wouldnt allow spark thought the wires 4 some reason...) idk anything about the klze but iv had loads of problems with ALOT of distys.. I will do a little research but i want to say +1 for disty replacement..
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

well thats the thing i didnt take any wires off. I'll tell you what exactly happened. The valve cover had a slow leak in the corner so i took the valve cover off put some silicon on it to stop the leak, Put the valve cover back on, let it set for 24hours, went back to the garage, started the car up to put the tires back ( got new tires- Turned the wheels) car started fine, i lowered the jack was getting ready to go in town, and she wouldnt start up.. So it all happened within 10minutes. I replaced the Rotor, Cap, like i said before i tested everything there is, getting conitunity through everything.. The only thing that doesnt make sence is the Distributor because its getting spark at the coil, at the pick up coil, i cleaned the disty all up cause it was dirty, tested the cam shaft wires, looked at the censor, checked everything i can find online. The ONLY thing i havent done yet is replaced the Disty? But does it really make sence it could be the disty even thou its doing everything its supposed to, can it be losing spark inside the disty due to bad ground or something, or it could be losing it some where inside?
zackqw

Post by zackqw »

well thats what i was meaning when i said open your disty up and look inside.. look for any burnt looking connections inside.. find a disty taht u know works and try it in ur car(Of course use a disty made for ur motor) Try it and see what happenes.. if ur car still wont start then u have stumped me REALLY bad....
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

yeh dude, im stumped right now, it doesnt make sence, if it was something else then id assume that the Disty wouldnt be getting any power/spark. Im looking for a new disty a parts place an mazda wants $500.00 NO auto wreckers near me have anything, so im kinda screwed, i just dont want to pass out 500 and it not work
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

can you get spark from the disty if the disty is no good? or if theres something wrong inside it
zackqw

Post by zackqw »

moneyshot23 wrote:yeh dude, im stumped right now, it doesnt make sence, if it was something else then id assume that the Disty wouldnt be getting any power/spark. Im looking for a new disty a parts place an mazda wants $500.00 NO auto wreckers near me have anything, so im kinda screwed, i just dont want to pass out 500 and it not work

YUP! No one here has a distributor for my 93 mx-3 v6 GS.. and its 300 new and 250(Give or take) Reman.. ebay has good prices but i dont want to wait 6 fu***** days >.<
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

So i was doing some thinking and i took the advice that zackqw gave me, i stepped back and was thinking about some stuff, The Disty has a condenser inside it. Just because its getting power and spark doesnt mean it has to put the power out, If the condenser is gone bad then it can receive power and spark all day long but its never gonna put the power to the spark plugs, not to mention whats the only thing between the Disty cap and the plugs? The DISTY lol...So obviously its something in the disty and if its getting power but not putting it out, its the condenser inside it, thats what holds the spark and pumps the spark to each plug, and everytime is shoots spark to a plugs its rebuilding more spark for the next plug. Which means its not putting the power out.. lol... So thats what i thought about when i took a step back, Maybe someone could agree with me on this one?. Does that make sence? So i think if i replace the disty the problem should be fixed..
garfy19811

Post by garfy19811 »

Have spot on exactely the same problem, Had distributor checked and found power coming out centre of rotor connection, if you cranked with dizzy cap and rotor off. So guy told me needed new rotor and cap, thought sweet...... cheap fixed. But no still wont start. Im now conveinced its 100% dizzy. Just waiting on ebay for a cheap one to pop up!
zackqw

Post by zackqw »

theres one on there for 85$ id buy.. but dont have the cash.. i have to pay off my speeding ticket on tuesday.. >.< so i get to take my stupid truck.. ok its not stupid.. its a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the magnum in it.. gets about 5 miles to the gal(Not really but thats what it seems like) lol
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

Distributor king had some good deals on
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

So good news guys, I bought a Disty part number T0T57271 from a 94 MX6 and its working. So she is up and running as of now.. Thanks for all ur comments and help guys.
korpit
antispam: No

Post by korpit »

Also don't mean to insult but check to make sure your timing belt is ok. This would stop the spark at the distributor because it is no longer turning. Make sure the distributor is turning with the cap off or the oil filler cap to see if the cam shaft is turning.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”