No Spark After the distributor cap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
moneyshot23

No Spark After the distributor cap

Post by moneyshot23 »

Hey i have a 94 mazda mx3 with a KLZE swap, Im getting spark at the coil but nothing past the distributor cap, so i replaced the distributor cap still getting spark from the coil and the distributor cap, but no spark in the Spark plug wires or the spark plugs? the wires and plugs arent that old.. Is there anything else it could be? I know all the wires and fuses are fine, cause im getting spark right up to the distributor cap just nothing past it..
Any ideas? I am getting fuel aswell.
solo_ryder

Re: No Spark After the distributor cap

Post by solo_ryder »

How do you know your getting spark to your cap? Is there a gasket inbetween the cap and the disty?

Sounds to me like your disty might be messed up.. What's the rotor lookin like? Have u tried another disty?
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

well theres spark at the coil and the cap is brand new just put it in today. there is like a small rubber gasket piece and its ripped in half, what exactly is the disty? i called mazda an he said it might be the whole distributor an they want $500.00 for a new one. The rotor is looking really used i took some sand paper cleaned the end up it looks like it should be working, I priced one of thoes out an they are $30.00 im replacing that tmrw. Could it be my ECU? God i hope not
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Gawwwwwddd I hope not.

Chill man. The ecu won't be the issue.. The disty (aka distributor) is proly crapped out. However, if your gasket is missing that's not good, u need to fix that as its probably leaking spark. Replace the rotor and the gasket and try again. If it still don't work then I would say your distributor is pooched.. Go to the wreckers and get another one don't buy one from mazda or a parts store.. They are grossly overpriced. You need to get a 94 mx3 disty if you do get one.. The 92-93 and 96 ones won't work. Its a TOT57171 disty, there should be a sticker on there that says those numbers
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

hey yeh i called mazda and a guy walked me through some stuff. he said there's 3 main ways to figure it out, 1. Flash Codes 2. Roll the car over if the distributor doesnt move even a little bit theres no voltage going to the distributor.. 3. Roll the car over look at the tach meter if it doesnt move then theres no voltage going to the distributor. And i did 2 and 3 and its not working, So its my distributor i called a wreckers and i can get one for $50.00 WAY CHEAPER then mazda or a part place they want $500.00 crazy. UGh. 2 days ago i blew a tire had to replace 2 of them at $250.00 lol it just keeps coming
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There are easier ways. Get a friend to crank the car while holding the disty with one hand and touching the motor with the other. If u get shocked multiple times, the u know its working.....

Haha

Take a sparkplug out and put it on the end of a spark plug wire, move the plug close to the strut tower bolts and crank, u should see a nice blue spark. But it does sound like ur disty is kinda fried even though mazda's suggestions are abit wierd
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

haha shocker... So i asked a machanic who lives by me and hes saying it doesnt make sence that its the distributor cause im getting spark from the Coil which means the distributor is getting spark which is what its supposed to do.. So i mean is it the distributor or is there something else it could be?,, Im getting no spark from the spark plugs or even while they are touching the ground. Theres no spark past the distributor cap at all. I tested all the 12V wires running to the distributor they are working fine, i tested the ECU its working. So im thinking it has to be the distributor no matter what right?
davmac

Post by davmac »

Is this a "new" KLZE swap that has never started or a problem that has developed with your KLZE swap? From your description I assume this is a KLZE distributor with an external coil. Otherwise I'm really lost because the K8 distributor has an internal coil making it hard to test for spark at the coil - though still easy to test for spark at the end of the spark plug wire.

Just wondering because if this is a new swap and you're using the KLZE with external coil you'll have to rewire to mate the MX-3 harness to the plug for the distributor or it won't start.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

No I did the swap about 2 years ago the car was working fine I took the valve cover off to put some sealer on it, it had a small leak, anyways
I put it all back together, went to start it up an it was firing I can smell fuel, I checked all the fueses in the hood an in the car
I traced the spark all away back to the distributor cap, the coil in internal and I tested it
It has nice blue spark from it, so I bought a new cap, tried it but the same thing happening
I tested to see if there conitnuity going through the cap and its good
Just no spark going to the spark plug wires down to the spark plugs
I'm being told the disty is gone, the part that gets me is there's power an spark going to it
I tested the wires from the disty an the LED test light flashes when the car is turning over
Which indecates there is power going to the pick up coil its opening and closeing fine
But still no spark going past that point, so could it really be the disty? What other problems could it be?
I need all the help I can get, have a car show coming p
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Did u replace the gasket yet? That's proly what it is
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

No I didn't replace the gasket the mechanic said the little rip in the gasket won't stop it from working
I just don't understand everything seems to be working fine, the only thing I haven't replaced yet is the disty an the rotor
davmac

Post by davmac »

A new rotor is worth a shot. Cheap and definitely responsible to send electricity from the coil to each spark plug wire. If you truly have spark at the coil I'm not sure what else it could be.

I don't mean to insult, but do make sure plug wires are properly seated and in the right order on the cap and in the engine. If you do happen to be getting spark to the plugs but in the wrong order you'll never start.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

Yeh the spark plug wires are in the right ones, i have the NKG which are numbered on the cords. And starting from the Top Left side of the Engine is 1. Under is 2. middle is 3 under that is 4 top right side is 5 lower right is 6. Is that correct? And as for spark im not getting any spark from the plugs or the wires at all. but i am getting spark from the coil (nice blue sparks) and the cap is fine its brand new just bought it today.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Make sure the rotor is contacting the center of the inside of the disty cap. Did the contact point on your rotor break off or something
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

well the middle in the rotor is completely flat, looks like its been wearing down. i dont no if theres supposed to be like a point in it or not. Heres a picture of it, I know theres spark from the coil, cause i held a long screw driver about 1/2inch away from the coil and had someone crack the engine over, and theres nice blue spark coming from it. I tested the 6pic connector thats in the back of it, that also starts the fuel pump, i had a LED test light had someone crack it over, and the led was flashing which tells me the pick up coil is sending power which means its opening and closing fine, or the light wouldnt falsh, correct? Image

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”