question about resonators now with video!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: question about resonators now with video!!!

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Ewwww it sounds like those civics with cheap fart cannons!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Ewwww it sounds like those civics with cheap fart cannons!
It sounds like a helicopter flying by after he starts it up and the idle first starts to drop...

I actually don't mind how it sounds when you give it some gas..
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
_-Night-Shade-_

Are you sure you don't have any leaks anywhere?
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

ewwwwwwwwww. A pre muffler will quiet it the most IMO. What sive pipe are you running?
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

its 2.25" i got it with the intention of eventually getting a klde/ze.

exhaust leaks? unless its from the stock exhaust manifolds there shouldnt be. entire cat back was replaced about a month ago. like i said it sounds decent above 4000rpm but cruising at 2000-3000 gives that civic fart sound...

what about that smoke when i first stepped on the throttle? my oil goes to low from full after about a month of driving. i must be burning it? i never see any pools under the car and the exhaust doesnt smoke after the first couple revs. any cheap way to fix that or should i just put up with it?
Ewwww it sounds like those civics with cheap fart cannons!
you should have herd it with the cheap fart cannon and a 9" hole half the diameter of the pipe. at high revs it sounded like a ferrari, cruising and low revs it was a defening fart noise.

and a pre-muffler would be considered as a second muffler where the resonator is? would another high-flow muffler do anything or would i want a more restrictive muff?
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

mikeinaus wrote:its 2.25" i got it with the intention of eventually getting a klde/ze.

and a pre-muffler would be considered as a second muffler where the resonator is? would another high-flow muffler do anything or would i want a more restrictive muff?

First off NO muffs there bad for buisness.

If you want it quieter a more restrictive muffler would be better obviously.

The 2.25 MIGHT be making it a bit more farty as well with the 1.8 but im not sure about that
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i think im going to go with a dynomax super-turbo muffler in place of the resonator. from what ive read its on the quieter end of a performance muffler. comibining that with the magnaflow i think itll sound alright.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i just got off the phone with the guy at the parts store and he said throwing the super-turbo as a second muffler would be a really bad idea for flow and wouldnt make it any quieter? he said my best bet would be to just throw the biggest glasspack i can find on or go back to stock...

so final question... would thowing a second muffler be a horrible idea like the guy said? or would it be a better idea to thow on a 30" glasspack?
26" glasspack would probably be more ideal if i ever wanted to fit headers. just measured and the 30" would be a tight fit...

im running a 18 or 19" resonator right now...
_-Night-Shade-_

First of all, a resonator = premuffler/2nd muffler, whatever you wanna call it. Maybe you just have a crappy resonator, a crappy muffler, or the 2.25 is too big for the K8, or a combination of all of them. I had 2" cat-back with my K8 with the same magnaflow high-flow cat and muffler that I have now and it sounded dirty! And when I redid it to 2.25 after my swap I told them to put on the same length resonator as I already had in order to keep as much of the tone as possible. It's even deeper sounding now and still sexy, I gotta make a vid sometime. Anyways, the point is I'm pretty sure the components make the biggest difference to the sound than the actual size, so you gotta get a good combo goin on.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

must be the resonator i have now then. ill swap it for a 26" one and hopefully itll do the trick. the muffler is a pretty high end http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... in&id=8626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the cat is decent too so hopefully the resonator is the weak link. its a random one i got off craigslist...
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

http://www.hushpower.com/ these guys make some decent mufflers that are not annoyingly loud, I put one a 3 different cars now and they got the performance without that annoying raspy loud exhaust noise just a pleasing deeper tone.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”