question about resonators now with video!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

question about resonators now with video!!!

Post by mikeinaus »

i had a custom cat-back installed about a month ago and my car is still annoyingly loud. im running a normal k8 so its not even a cool loud. i also set off car alarms all the time (fun). i have a high-flow magnaflow cat and a twin tip high-flow magnaflow muffler.

the resonator i currently installed is a straight pipe maybe 18" or 20" and is smooth on the inside. i was at canadian tire and i took a quick look at a cherry bomb glass pack and its pretty-much the same but the inside walls were meshed rather then smooth.

like this

if i swapped my resonator with the cherrybomb would it make my exhaust quieter?

on a side note. if i plug one of the tips on my muffler with my hand the car sounds perfect
Last edited by mikeinaus on May 20th, 2010, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wytbishop

Re: question about resonators

Post by wytbishop »

I would not necessarily use a Cherry Bomb, but a good resonator that you bought at a reputable muffler shop would make a difference yes. Probably not enough to quiet your car though. The high flow muffler is the problem. In my experience High flow = loud and there's no way around it.

You can block one of the tips and it will not hurt the car but it will affect performance.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I had a long (32 inch, I think) MagnaFlow resonator, and it worked pretty well. With the MagnaFlow muffler, and High flow cat, it sounded great. Louder than a stock 2.5, but not annoying.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I just measured my exhaust as I have the same issue your talking about, so you can install a resonator up to 25" total length. I have MagnaFlow high flow cat and the twin tipped mobbler on a 2 1/2" system. MagnaFlow Support told me a longer resonator would help so I'm going to order the longest one to fit this space. Right now I think mines the 17" and I get drown on the hwy between 80-90kls.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

All resonators look like the picture. A resonator is nothing more than a straight through muffler usually with less sound deadening insulation compared to a muffler. The glass pack might be an improvement if it provides more sound insulation. I recently added a Magnaflow straight through muffler as a resonator (5” round, 14” long body about 20” overall – 2 ¼” pipe on center). This provided enough sound reduction to make my car more enjoyable to drive. Previously without a resonator it was just too loud. FYI I have a aftermarket OEM type muffler at the end of the exhaust. Magnaflow advertises their straight through design as providing high performance based mainly on the air flow it provides. A baffled muffler (sometimes called chamber design) may not flow as well on a bench test but is definitely quieter. I’m tempted to try a Flowmaster 60 series muffler or the new Dynomax VT to further reduce the noise / drone at highway speeds.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

definitely makes a difference. i put on a thrush 28" glasspack res, quieted things down a LOT. sounded like a lawnmower without it
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Lawnboy or Briggs and Stratton?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

its not even highway speeds that are bad for me. 2000-3000rpm sounds horrible. 4000+ start to sound nice but thats not really cruiseing speeds in the city.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

There's nothing you can do about setting off car alarms, I do that too and my car isn't even crazy loud, it's just ppl have cheap alarms lol.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah or set to be way too sensitive... undergrounds are fun. i went to the movies last week and revved before i parked. i set off like 4 or 5 alarms at the same time lol

ill try throwing the biggest resonator i cant find but i dont want to spend much more on this exhaust... cherrybomb has a 26"x 2"1/4id glasspack for like $35.

would a "muffler" like this 18" long

be better then a glasspack 26" long like this?

would putting a flowmaster super 44 series muffler instead of the resonator be a good idea?
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/ ... rig=942445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

if you really wanted to quiet it down put the OEM cat back on. mine was to quiet all OEM exhaust and all i did was clear out my cat now it sounds good and still very liveable not to much noise. Will hurt performance a bit but if you want to quiet it down you almost have to hurt performance.
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

my cat was dead and its long gone... its only a k8 so performance isnt the biggest thing on my mind. would throwing a second muffler underneath quiet it down? im not expecting silent but atleast make it tolerable. i wouldnt even mind it as loud as it is if it didnt sound like a lawnmover...

it actually sounds alot better in this video then it does it real life...
http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab34 ... V01234.flv

is this smoke normal if the cars been sitting a day or 2 and is cold?
wytbishop

Re: question about resonators now with video!!!

Post by wytbishop »

Pre muffler would definitely be the best solution for noise reduction...but probably most restrictive as well.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

mikeinaus wrote:yeah or set to be way too sensitive... undergrounds are fun. i went to the movies last week and revved before i parked. i set off like 4 or 5 alarms at the same time lol
Broooo movie theatres are the best! I did that too, you get like half a dozen cars all at the same time! :lol:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
ninjajim4

Re: question about resonators now with video!!!

Post by ninjajim4 »

that red glasspack you linked to looks identical to what i have. something like 25-30 bucks on summit racing, pretty good if you're on a budget. it lets through a lot of deeper tones, but overall brings the decibels down, like i said. i have a magnaflow high flo cat, and giant ebay cans on the back, so the res is doing most of the work. no one would mistake it for stock, but the neighbors dont complain about it either

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”