SS Frame guards

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

SS Frame guards

Post by Daninski »

OK so I check under my car and see that over the years garages have distorted the areas of the frame they use to put the car up on a hoist. My plan is to fabricate stainless steel U shaped rails that I plan to epoxy over these 4 areas (two in front, two at the rear). I guess it's to be expected that over the years this is bound to happen. Now if I have to take the car to the garage I'll let them know to position the lift pads on these four stainless reinforcements. Pure genius if you ask me. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Re: SS Frame guards

Post by wytbishop »

Mine is really bad too and i'm starting to get a bit of rust in the seams so I'm planning on replacing the floor, frame rails and rocker panels during the rebuild. But I have been thinking about reinforcement there as well to prevent recurring problems.

Good idea in my opinion.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Great idea! I think this is a common problem on a lot of MX-3s, mine included. Let us know how you plan on doing it.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sheer, utter, and pure genius!
Now, if you got the Stainless from Martini shakers, or something like that...
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK so far the cost of fabrication is killing me. Two large Tim Horton coffees avec 2X cream. lol We're doing them in 1/8 stainless and after examining the under carraige of the car I had to modify the original design and there will be holes to drill and some additional bending of the stainless. If I get them exact enough I'd like to see how much it would be to produce more (GB). I'm thinking the cost of SS is a little prohibitive for most but we do have a scap metal dealer here who may have some in his bin. The frame will need to be cleaned and neutralized then I plan on using epoxy blended with micro balloons to attach them. The epoxy is more for void filling and holding the mounts in place than anything structual. More to follow.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

Thats a Genious idea. I've recently replacedsome of the frame rails I might do what your doing to cover up my work. Don't want them to question anything when I bring it in for safety :p lol
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll probably get the car in the air in a couple of weeks. I'll need to custom fit the guards then if it looks good I'll see if getting a few more made is possible and I'll include a drawing with all the specs. The rear rails are a little more complicated so I'll see how I do. not usre about you guys but I have a hard time finding time to get anything done. Still have to tile my bathroom then build a new kitchen and refloor it. I should of been born twins. :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Daninski wrote: I should of been born twins. :lol:

There are almost too many of you already.
Could you imagine the fights you'd have?
Now, if one of you had a goatee, and was the good one...
That might be okay.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

if this did turn into a group buy I'd be interested. My car's underbody is definitely in need of a good cleaning. Got a decent bit of Rust (not too severe though), and really need to get at knocking it all out.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”