Here's a weird one for ya...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Here's a weird one for ya...

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Flyer wrote:Definately the belt. I'm surprised NightShade didn't pick up on it right away...I only called to b---- about the loss of power steering and waterpump to him only like five times when it happened to me...
You're an idiot. He didn't mention anything about the belt not being intact until NOW, so I was going based on that. You never do anything proactive on this forum, just say stupid sh*t and make fun of others.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Thanks guys, i will call auto value tomorrow and see if they got one in stock. And refer to the manuals for theinfo i need, thanks for your help.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

They WILL have one in stock. Its the same belt for all K series motors....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

How do i inspect the pulleys? Just try to roll them by hand?
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
waspone

Post by waspone »

exact same thing happened in my car,
what happened for mine was the main crank pulley seized, which caused the belt to break
so as i was driving i tried to turn with no PS and realized i was overheating...
this is also after having my belts water pump etc. replaced too
and yeah solo is right the PS pump and water pump are on the same belt
anyway, i had mazda do my repair, with a used pulley from a wrecker
worked fine till i had to scrap her for maaaaany other issues.. g/l
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
waspone

Post by waspone »

Edit: not sure though how youd check the pulley i imagine just try spinning it like you said..
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, spin the idler pulleys, and shake them to see if they rattle. If they're fine, try the others. Hopefully, it's an idler. I've never had to mess with mine, but hopefully, you can just press a new bearing into it. That's what I did with my timing belt pulleys, and saved $$
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Little update for ya....... Got paid my bonus today so i took the car to mazda to find out what's wrong. Well, they present me with an estimate of just under 1700! The root cause was a seized water pump, so they're ordering one for tuesday. However, they tried to charge me for brakes, timing belt, tensioner, etc. Timing belt and brakes done 10k km ago, i have three different types of locked nuts on the wheels so like hell they got the wheels off to inspect the calipers. I called China Tire for a quote on a water pump, 130 less than mazda for the same brand!!! I told them to only do the water pump which is coming in on monday to Crappy Tire, and the revised price for the labour is around 800. I still think that's way too much.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

If you have a garage, some spare time, and some technical knowledge, you can save a few bucks doing it yourself. In the absence of any of those things though, and CT might be your best bet.

You can ask for a copy of the labour time from the manual they looked it up on. I can't remember how much time its supposed to take to change the water pump and timing belt. Oh, and if you're doing the water pump, you might as well do the timing belt. Its coming off anyway.
Cody
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

If you have a place over 5 degrees centigrade, do it yourself.

Its not very hard... and w/p and tbelt with all the bells and whistles should only cost you <300....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I don't have a shop available to me, otherwise i'd be all over it like an emo on a razor blade.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

tehbrookzorz wrote: Oh, and if you're doing the water pump, you might as well do the timing belt. Its coming off anyway.
You don't have to remove the timing belt to swap the water pump. When you unbolt the water pump you can just slide it out from under the timing belt in the one place it overlaps. I've changed my water pump in under an hour on a few different occasions.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea, just swap the WP with a new one, should be around 65 for a new one. You dont need to do anything else.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”