Here's a weird one for ya...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93vtecklr

Here's a weird one for ya...

Post by 93vtecklr »

Okay so I'm about to pick up my girl for a night on the town, warm up the car cause it's cold as two week old dog ish.......and the car shuts itself off about ten minutes later. Lights, heater, stereo on. Heat is on full blast and the interior is scorching. By the time I get the car to start again it's squeeling from the belts and the alt is smoking, i immediately shut it off. I cleaned up some grounds, and checked all fuses and fluid levels. The car starts great but the heater is only blowing cold air. The power steering isn't working and the car is overheating. The alty is running strong and running all accessories with no light fade with the sub goin. I would like to know what could be going wrong with the PS and the overheating issue. All the coolant seems to be in the overflow, and won't cycle. I am wondering what the likelihood is of the water and ps pump going at the same time. All components are less than one year old. They were all brought new, and the belts were all replaced too, nothing is leaking or being burned. Thank you for your time.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Here's a weird one for ya...

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Maybe something jammed it hard enough to stop the engine and then when you went to start it would explain the belt squeek? Why would the alty smoke though... and why would the 2 pumps die... definitely a weird one mate.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I know right? I checked everything i could think of, I may be overlooking something though. My girl just came back from ontario so i really wanted to see her, maybe i should just take the sunbird.....
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I am wondering what the likelihood is of the water and ps pump going at the same time.
If that's the case, you are one unlucky dude...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

w00t Ontario!

Okay here's a crazy theory: something gets into the alty causing it to jam, the alty stops providing power which causes the engine to stop, and then when you try to start it again the belt slips overtop the jammed alty and causes the squeal. Eventually gets unjammed...
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I am just worried about starting the car again until i find out why its over heating and the power steering isn't working.......
_-Night-Shade-_

You're gonna have to start it again, just let it cool down. When you do start it get someone to turn the steering wheel while looking at the PS pulley, if the pump is working it'll clutch the pulley and it will be harder to spin - you can usually observe this for a split second and the idle usually drops for that split second.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

The fucked up thing is that now it's hunting too. Between one and two thousand rpm while cold. FML batman.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The PS and the WP run off the same belt.. I am gonna say that the PS bely jumped and jammed the alt belt and caused it to smoke abit. You car is overheating because the WP is not turning neither is the PS pump because the belt is gone, broken or lodged weird. Pulley could also have fallen off. Check it out.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, check your belt, and its amount of play. If it looks and feels fine, have someone start the car while you watch the pulleys. Your car can run for a while, even without the belt on. It would probably die of lack of electricity before it could over heat (depending on how good your battery is).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Definately belt. Not weird at all.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I must be an idiot, I went outside to look at it in the light and saw a belt on the ground. Is this an expensive fix?
pattheriault

Post by pattheriault »

around 30$ for a new belt id say... and like a 20 min fix..
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I would say one of your pulleys jammed and made it smoke. One of pulley bearings might've seized.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Definately the belt. I'm surprised NightShade didn't pick up on it right away...I only called to b---- about the loss of power steering and waterpump to him only like five times when it happened to me...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”