solo_ryder's How To: Warm air/Short ram intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad Cow

Re: solo_ryder's How To: Warm air/Short ram intake

Post by Mad Cow »

Oh and BTW, have you tried mounting the VAF right on the TB? It would be level but I guess it could screw up the airflow and make it turbulent and stuff.♦
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I wouldnt try that for 4 reasons.

1 - It would look retarded
2 - Probably not a good idea and throw off all kinds of readins
3 - Wires dont reach that far for the VAF
4 - No way to run the PCV system that way
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

:lol: :lol:
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

My wires reach fine, and the PCV valve is hooked up to the IM, but your other 2 point are good. I'm just throwing out ideas here.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

I'll probably be doing this on Friday, if I can get the couplers and pipe locally. If not I may have to order these on the interwebs and wait until next week. I'm going to be doing alot soon, but I'm really not used to having money to spend on my car. It's...magical.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

Quick question, if I have the gigantic VAF (seen here
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... =Short+Ram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), what changes would I need to make to your writeup? Shorter pipe I suppose? And would it be possible to get the MAF from a K8 MX-3 and use it instead?

Also you suggested an 2.5 inch pipe for a K8, why is that? Too much air? I personally wouldn't mind the 3 inch pipe, but I don't want to harm my engine.

I'd rather ask here and get answers for someone to find using the search function in the future, which is how I found the link above.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Thassodar wrote:Also you suggested an 2.5 inch pipe for a K8, why is that? Too much air? I personally wouldn't mind the 3 inch pipe, but I don't want to harm my engine.
I too don't see the point of using a 2.5" pipe, considering the bore on the K8 TB is exactly 3" in diameter, while on the KLZEs it's just over 3" so I would think a 3" pipe is perfect for the K8s. I'll be trying out this setup soon as well and plan on using a 3" pipe.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

Hey were are these part numbers from I went to napa and the filter was right but nothin else I got the tube not the cuplers were did you order them? What should I order I asked for a 3 inch coupler, and the 2.5 to 3 inch ones and they had no idea what I was looken for
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires
now wrote off with a watermelon sized dent in the driver side quater panel

93 mx-3 gs black klze fully loaded
MX3-4U2NV
antispam: No

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Installed, idled high for a minute, then went to normal. Going for a drive now to work.

Cost me $56.29 CAD for all the parts. But got a Vibrant filter, not K&N.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Ok this has been bugging me for a while, but what's the point of using an intake pipe with a bigger diameter than the exhaust pipe? You can only get so much air out, so you won't be able to get any more in. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
_-Night-Shade-_

Oh I definitely don't think that's the right way of looking at it. It's all about getting the air into the engine as quickly as possible and as dense as possible. And it gets sucked in by a vaccuum created by the engine as opposed to being pushed out through the exhaust (not to mention it's much hotter so it moves much quicker) I don't think the intake air is ever as quick as the exhaust. Don't forget there are a lot more byproducts after combustion, not just air, due to the fuel being mixed together.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Oh I definitely don't think that's the right way of looking at it. It's all about getting the air into the engine as quickly as possible and as dense as possible. And it gets sucked in by a vaccuum created by the engine as opposed to being pushed out through the exhaust (not to mention it's much hotter so it moves much quicker) I don't think the intake air is ever as quick as the exhaust. Don't forget there are a lot more byproducts after combustion, not just air, due to the fuel being mixed together.
So wouldn't that mean there are more exhaust gases, meaning that you need an even smaller intake tube? And since intake air gets to the engine by a vacuum, shouldn't a smaller intake tube be better to keep velocity high?
_-Night-Shade-_

Of course there are more exhaust gases. Don't forget our VAF pretty much limits the max amount of air that can enter at any time.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Of course there are more exhaust gases. Don't forget our VAF pretty much limits the max amount of air that can enter at any time.
Even more reason so use a thinner intake tube.
_-Night-Shade-_

Meh, look at the stock intake. I guess it would be better at low rpms but at high rpms you'd be starving the engine of air with a thin intake.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”