What should I check? lots of PROBLEMS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

What should I check? lots of PROBLEMS

Post by Gods Father »

ok heres the deal...i swapped in a klze over the summer and have been doing little work now that its pretty much snowing every week here...but heres the problem...since i started driving it the car has been running really rich(little smoke and stinks)...the check engine lights still on (even though i had the ecu chipped which ive heard mixed reviews about what that does to the CEL, anyways...) it loses power on top end like crazy...after about 4 rpm in every gear the power just starts to even out...it needs a little starter fluid to start =/ it backfires when i turn it off...CHUGS gas...lots of problems....im thinking all running too rich related...so how do i get my baby up to snuff? what should i do/check? im thinking timing has a lot to do with it...i havent done a lot of reading about that yet but im definitely gonna...just wanted some insight first...and about the CEL? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks guys

PS if anyone wants to give any insight on timing that would be helpful too thanks
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Mad Cow

Re: What should I check? lots of PROBLEMS

Post by Mad Cow »

Use common sense and check the codes, and it would be helpful to tell us about your setup (chip, vaf, ecu, etc.)
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Running rich can also be indicitive of a vac leak. This may not fix the problem but I'm a strong believer in new O2 sensors. Who did you buy the chip from and if it was Ryan (probinator) was it the proper chip for your car (curved neck intake etc.)?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Daninski wrote:Running rich can also be indicitive of a vac leak. This may not fix the problem but I'm a strong believer in new O2 sensors. Who did you buy the chip from and if it was Ryan (probinator) was it the proper chip for your car (curved neck intake etc.)?
I always thought vac leaks make it run lean. If there's extra air coming in and the ECU doesn't compensate...
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mad Cow wrote:
Daninski wrote:Running rich can also be indicitive of a vac leak. This may not fix the problem but I'm a strong believer in new O2 sensors. Who did you buy the chip from and if it was Ryan (probinator) was it the proper chip for your car (curved neck intake etc.)?
I always thought vac leaks make it run lean. If there's extra air coming in and the ECU doesn't compensate...
I'd say the same, lean.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”