need ideas

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mccabe

need ideas

Post by mccabe »

OK so my car hasnt started for severl days it crank and crank but no fire so im guessing its the ditsy what are my options to replace it id look but i have no idea what im looking for. O and my cars a 92 gs
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires
now wrote off with a watermelon sized dent in the driver side quater panel

93 mx-3 gs black klze fully loaded
colinsmx3

Re: need ideas

Post by colinsmx3 »

When mine wen't I just got an aftermarket one for $250 instead of doing the HEI mod that makes your engine bay look like crap, and serves no purpose other then cutting costs!

So I would go after market and there you go! And you usually get a warranty with it. OEM will cost you upwards of $550 from the dealer, atleast when I worked there!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I think the HEI mod can look quite nice and getting an external coil means that you will have more juice going to your plugs. HEI mod can be done for under $100...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5069/dsc004178sg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

an extra plug sticking out of ure disty looks nice?? hmmmm.. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You can get a ZE disty and then it looks stock...

Or you can get one of the modified ones from probetalk I think.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. Search "HEI mod". It's cheaper, more effective, more reliable, and a better platform for performance than getting another stock disty. Your spark will be stronger, if you get an MSD coil, so your gas mileage could improve, as well as top end power.
Whether your engine bay is less pretty, will be your opinion. I'm obviously more into performance than looks, especially in the engine bay. If you were trying to impress anyone with underhood looks, you could easily hide all the wiring, and make it look stock.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I like making things look pretty and go fast. If you get a ZE distributor ($50-100) there is a 7th nipple on it that is basically meant for an external coil. Get a nice external coil (MSD6a isnt bad) and mount it somewhere. The only thing you need to do is hide the HEI module, which like colins said, does not look good. You can put all the wires in a loom very easily and things WILL look stock.

The stock distributor is faulty which is why we don't recommend it. If you can get another one for about the same price that you can do the HEI mod for - than go for it! If it fails again, you might want to consider the HEI mod. Put up a [WTB] Working distributor thread.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”