Poly Bushingkits for the Mx3

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

projectmx wrote:another question is $380 for those bushings just seems high is that honestly a good deal? and will it be worth it?
Well, the same kit for a Miata is $415. It's definitely a lot more than the Civic guys go and pay at PepBoys for an in-stock Energy Suspension kit, but it's a bargain considering it's the only game out there for us. That's kinda' what we get for falling for an obscure sport compact...

Lastly what are the end link bushings? I don't recall our endlinks ahving bushings
I'm honestly not sure if we *need* them. From the technical drawings, it looks like each link bolt has one rubber donut bushing - two at each corner. Everyone has been saying that the rear is solid, but the drawings in the FSM still show them. I ordered one of the kits just in case, and if we don't need them, I'm pretty sure they'll fit my g/f's 240, so no big loss to me.

I'll have lots more info in 3-4 weeks when I receive my order and get it installed.

Can't help ya' with the GTR stuff. Might try the GTX forums, I know they use a lot of GTR parts.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
http://www.generic-racing.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i need the complete rear kit. the superpro comes in a harder durometer than the energy suspension bushings so supropro all the way. i only wish srd made a complete rear bushing kit to go with the fronts.
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

Man, I dunno. I just got the SRD bushings on Friday, and got them installed on Saturday. High durometer doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't know what I thought "nylatron" was, but these suckers are basically nylon. Very very hard. However, they fixed my problems, and now I just have a little clicking and popping from the ball joints, for which Moog replacements are on the way.

If SRD made stuff for the rear, I might consider doing the inner bushings on the forward and aft lateral links, but nowhere else. Keep in mind that you do need a little compliance in some places for the car to handle well. I'm a little worried that the Superpro Poly is going to be too stiff for the trailing arm, and I may swap the rear bushing back to the stock rubber so there's enough compliance for the geometry to work as it should under compression.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

How did the SRD`s feel compared to stock bushings?
I got the front control arm SRD bushings ready to install, to get it approved.
And then either get everything from SuperPro later on.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

nope-mx3 wrote:How did the SRD`s feel compared to stock bushings?
I got the front control arm SRD bushings ready to install, to get it approved.
And then either get everything from SuperPro later on.
They made a monster difference, but you've gotta' remember that the stock bushings on my car were completely shot. Mazda used a silicone filled rubber bushing in the aft LCA joint. On both sides of my car, that bushing was torn, empty, and crazy loose. That's why I needed to get something in there super quick. Bottom line is that I don't really have a good baseline to compare it to stock.

I'm also still on the old ball joints, so still have a little slop and pop left after the SRD bush install. Moog ball joints and tie rod ends should be in sometime this week, so I'll swap those this weekend and should have a much better feel for the improvement.

I also completely destroyed the passenger side swaybar endlink in the process of removing it. Both nuts were seized and spinning the ball in the socket, so I had to pry it off. It took surprisingly little effort to shatter the plastic socket, which is kind of alarming. I'm surprised these don't break more often for people around here. I'm going to try some Honda "closed S" type linkages with whatever the urethane donut bushings at Pep Boys are. I think they'll fit okay if I can get the right length. If not, I'll see if I can find a set of the stock ones and just keep an eye on them, or I may see if I can find a heim joint setup that will work for me.

If you're planning on using the stock type of endlink, I'd highly recommend you order a new set for the car. The chances are pretty good that you'll destroy yours just like I did, and in my opinion, those parts should be replaced periodically anyway due to their materials and design. Plastic gets brittle over time and exposure to the elements, and these tend to be highly stressed joints. Not something you want aged plastic taking care of. If you do use the stock type endlink, the endlink bushing kit SPF0903K is not neccessary. It may be neccessary, however, if you want to change to a different linkage setup depending on your design and needs.

As far as my overall impression about the SPF bushings, I think it would be a very good improvement over the stock stuff, even if the stock bushings are still in good shape. It may be too harsh for some people, but I don't mind it yet, and probably never will. As always, YMMV. It definitely increases NVH a great deal, which should be expected with such a rigid mount. Overall the feel is very good, ride quality was negatively affected but is bearable, handling seems quite a bit better, and it all feels nice and tight.

I think I'll like the SuperPro stuff better when it comes in, but we'll see. The Urethane bushings should be just compliant enough to take the majority of the harshness out of the ride, as well as absorb most of the increased NVH, while still providing a nice tight solid feel and adequate suspension geometry control.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Ah, this sounds good :)

The Moog parts, are they stock replacements, or are they some uprated parts?

NVH is not a concern as I dont hear anything because of the exhaust anyway :p Oh, and I got 94A shore urethane ready to fill some extra engine mounts I got laying around. Maybe I should get it done already, had them and the urethane in the garage for a year now :)

I value performance over a nice soft ride.

Thanks for the input.

-n
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

nope-mx3 wrote:The Moog parts, are they stock replacements, or are they some uprated parts?
They're listed as stock replacements, but Moog is known to be pretty tough stuff, and very precisely built. They've been doing 4x4 stuff for a long time, and somewhat recently started adapting their products to smaller applications like passenger cars and sport compacts. All the rock crawlers swear by Moog, just like they swear by Dana.

Perhaps not "performance" per-se, but certainly premium.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
zydawn

Post by zydawn »

heres a link for super pro bushes complete kit if it helps any one

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/zydawn26/bushes.htm

tried to post in the gb section but couldnt.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I want this soo bad.
Damn money :p

Guess I`ll have to figure something out :)

-n
zydawn

Post by zydawn »

I would also like to add that if you don't require the complete kit but just a couple of bushes let me know.
Providing I have the minimum order of 5 complete kits ,I might be able to combine postage with another member if they agree, to reduce cost on postage.

eg: maybe just sway bar bushes

meantime I waiting for a responce from admin so I can post this in the gb section
zydawn

Post by zydawn »

still had no response from admin so I decided to bump this

group buy will be ending at the end of the month so if you want in let me know.
zydawn

Post by zydawn »

only one week left then I will be closing the group buy

I sent several emails to admin with regards to including this in the GB section but no responce.
so heres the link.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/zydawn26/bushes.htm
*Y*

Re: Poly Bushingkits for the Mx3

Post by *Y* »

Hey guys sorry to bring up and old topic but I was wondering about something. I want to order some bushings for my car. The thing I am not sure about is this: how many bushings are include in one "package", for example are there two(for both sides) or one(for one side) bushings in "Control Arm Front Inner & Outer Bush SPF1786K"?
jbaysinger

Re: Poly Bushingkits for the Mx3

Post by jbaysinger »

Hey, all. Been a while since I've been around. Long story short, I picked up a 240sx to build as a track car, intending to keep the MX3 as a daily, but the 240 has been seeing daily use and the little Mazda has been neglected for about a year now, and I've decided finally to sell it.

I still have the bushings listed on the first page of this post that I never got around to installing, and I'm selling those separately. Wanted to give folks on this board first shot at 'em. I'll take $300 shipped. PM if interested.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”