Smell of gas and oil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

Smell of gas and oil

Post by 92MX3black »

i notice sometimes while driving my 1992 mazda mx-3 GS 5spd that my car does stink. The reason why this is bothering me is because i have to go through Delaware state inspection for the car within 2 months. They stick a emissions sniffer up the tailpipe and let you know if your car is compliant. By getting out of the car and smelling near the back, it smells as if there is oil and gas burning. The car has a aftermarket muffler but that is it. I replaced the 02 sensors and the car has no check engine codes when i recently scanned it. Oh and when i had the car on a lift the catalytic converter was still there. Please let me know if anyone has run into a similar problem. Thanks.
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Look carefully at your catalytic converter.
If it look very rusty, take it out and shake it.
If it sounds like having rocks juggling inside, then you know you need a new one.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

my ze smeels like raw fuel pretty bad. IO think its actually the fuel cap.lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

thanks for the responses. Whats funny is, this morning when i was warming the mx-3 up i stepped out and noticed that not only was exhaust coming out of the rear muffler but halfway underneath the car it was also coming out. Back behind the catalytic converter but before the muffler. Where the tubing snakes around . So im wondering if this exhaust leak could be causing the car to smell so bad. It goes through cat but isnt going through muffler all the way apparently. And by the way, the pipes have some rust on them and looks like it may be eating through some areas. If you think this will fix my problem then i will replace the exhaust pipes. Has anyone ever done this>? and round abouts how much did it cost? imma do some research tomorrow.
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

ttt. any one else have exhaust for sale? I think i just need the pipeing
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

well its definite that i need the catback pipe. But heres the thing, say i spend the money and put the exhaust on. Will that really solve my problem of the nasty smell coming out of the car? I have to go through emissions inspection soon and i am woooooooooried!!!
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

Go to the muffler shops?!
ken
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Is your exhaust smoke at all blue?
Cody
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

Only sometimes when i start the car up on really cold mornings will the smoke be blue. I understand that could be piston rings. But in the summer and most days there is no blue exhaust that i can see. And it will just be blue on start up and will not continue throughout the day.
Cy

Post by Cy »

could be valveseals too.... leaking down overnight and then coming out in the morning...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”