What gives crx's are fast?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don;t drag, but I spank H22s and B18s at the track all the time. I mean down the straights cauze the twisties are all MX baby. I don't think they are all that powerful. If he pulled that many legnths on you, he has more than he is saying or you shifted into fifth instead of third. ;) At that many legnths if you did a low 14s he proably did a low 12... A low 12 with a all motor B16 CRX, I doubt it...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Yes, I guess I should read the 1st post closer. If a b16 crx beat you by that many car lengths, and you are running mid low 14's, he's hiding something under the hood or in the hatch from you. Because the kl, ze in a mx3 is not slow compared to alot of other cars.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

Maybe he has some sort of centrifical supercharger beneath his manifold that i can not see. I seen alot of wires and pullies when i checked it out after the race but could not identify a sc. Is it possible vtec caused this? or maybe even hids? I seen some electrical boxes i didnt reconize under there. Im going to dig deeper i dont understand this.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

You shouldnt lose to a B16 CRX and if you did lose you shouldn't lose that bad to one unless it is seriously worked. They can be very quick though theres no doubt about that, just not with that motor and light mods. Ive gone out and have beaten plenty of B16 and GSR hatches & Tegs and have beaten plenty of H22 Accords so a B16 shouldnt have been too crazy. Bottom line: that car is worked.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I agree that the car has something more than a swap to it either boosted or a fully built motor. My ZE with lots of bolt ons can hang with an ITR no problem. So a b16 in a CRX i can probobly take. r sure you have a ZE as well???
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Mxtacy wrote:Maybe he has some sort of centrifical supercharger beneath his manifold that i can not see. I seen alot of wires and pullies when i checked it out after the race but could not identify a sc. Is it possible vtec caused this? or maybe even hids? I seen some electrical boxes i didnt reconize under there. Im going to dig deeper i dont understand this.
do you know anything about cars bro?...

his headlights didnt make him beat you..

nor did v-tec.

what time did you run during this race?

and i currently have a stock 96 v6 and can beat a crx with D16 ZC with intake, exaust, and header. by about car.
92GSV6

Post by 92GSV6 »

i have driven both of these cars.a 90 crx si with a b16 and my friends 92 mx-3 with a klze..and i can speak from experience,that the klze would chew it..the rex was quick..but the ZE was fast,and that only had an intake and a dual friction clutch..if a crx with a b16 is whipping you like that then you got hussled..he's hidding something somewhere..even v-tech wouldn't make that much difference,mild at most..you must of had traction issues because this doesn't add up.im going to say it's a sleeper.maybe a b18c?
Have a heavy foot?redline the b----,life's to short to mis-shift
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

JoshVK wrote: do you know anything about cars bro?...

his headlights didnt make him beat you..

nor did v-tec.

what time did you run during this race?

and i currently have a stock 96 v6 and can beat a crx with D16 ZC with intake, exaust, and header. by about car.

He meant maybe those are reasons why there were so many wires and electrical boxes that he couldn't figure out what they were, not that those would be reasons for the CRX stomping him.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

i know a little bit about this but not to much.
The only thing i can think of is that you need to rev the s--- out of your ze.
But let me warn you now i dont have a Kl-ze i a k8. I know there basicly the same but my k8 has been camed. It pulls from 5250-7750(My Rev limiter) My car is still pulling at that point.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
comish71

Post by comish71 »

a crx with a b-16 swap could potentially be a 14.5 second car with good traction and bolt ons. if you take it up a notch and get the head ported, polished and cams you could easily add another 15-20 hp to a 160 hp motor.
my brother and i have a crx as a project car and its definately not that torqey, but in the top end it hauls. (it kept up with a 300hp and 369ft lb montecarlo ss in the top end, our other project)
our game plan is to ultimately go with a b-20 bottom, b16 v-tec with a goal of 230-240 hp (tq about 160 ft lb)
it should be at least low 13's to high 12's.
the point is that the crx weighs in at 1800-2000 lbs, a definate advantage over our cars. the mx-3 with a klze has more torque and definately more hp, but i would suspect between the weight and gearing the honda has an advantage. i have had the unpleasant experience of taking a b-16 crx out of the hole and slowly seeing the race disappear from me as i hit 3rd gear. 3rd gear definately appears to be the weakest link. 1st is sweet, but can smoke the tires, second gear is awsome as this is where most gains are made. 3rd is the prayer gear, this is usually where i lose the race, and by 4th gear, its already determined who won.
1993 MX-3, KLZE, HOTSHOT HEADERS, CUSTOM EXHAUST WITH WALKER QUIETFLOW, K&N INTAKE, DIGITAL 6, QUAIFE LSD, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL, CLUTCHMASTER STAGE 3, GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS
14.32 @ 95.4mph
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Well i must ask, what kinda light you cut, and what did he cut
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
comish71

Post by comish71 »

per the description above also, its not as important what type of light the mx-3 cut in the race. reason being that the mx-3 was ahead of him out of the hole (at least per his description). the mx could have cut a perfect light and the crx a .5 second light and still beat the mx. if he lost by 20 car lengths and his time was anywhere in the 14's the crx must have had either the bottle or w whole hell of a lot more than just a b16 under the hood. i would hope that the driver of the mx-3 would have noticed or heard a turbo or supercharger. also could note the larger exhaust if they are running a sizable turbo. physically it makes no sense to run 14's in an mx-3 and lose by that much to another 14 second car.
1993 MX-3, KLZE, HOTSHOT HEADERS, CUSTOM EXHAUST WITH WALKER QUIETFLOW, K&N INTAKE, DIGITAL 6, QUAIFE LSD, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL, CLUTCHMASTER STAGE 3, GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS
14.32 @ 95.4mph
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I agree that something sounds fishy about the Honda CRX for it to beat the MX3 by that many lengths. I will agree that a CRX with a B16 or a B18 motor with a couple mods like flywheel, throttle body upgrade, headers, cams, cam gears etc can be a pretty quick car. However I would expect that it would be beating the KLZE MX3 by maybe 4-5 car lengths so it definitely sounds like NOS to me.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

oops miss read that lol
at least you didnt say it didnt matter what light he cut.
But anyway i want to know what did the crx run ?
10-20 car lengths would be low 11's i think, maybe even low 10's
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

id guess its not a b16 but a LS VTEC (B18block,B16 head- approx.190 WHP)and a shot of nitrous would explain the wires and solenoids as youd be able to pick out a SC even if you know nothing on a honda, im pretty sure they sit at the front. even if he's lighter but has the same power youd pull on him in the back half. if he's pulling on you he definatly has a lot more than you. I also cant see a B16 I/H/E doing mid to low 14's, with a open diff as basically all honda trannies are. on the honda forums B16's are only putting down high 130's sometimes low 140's with no torque. and as far as VTAk i think VRIS=VTEC it sounds ricerish to say this is y u lost. id put money on a klze vs.B16 with a weight advantage to the honda as ull have a lot higher trap speed.no reason to wonder y though as he definatly was bullshitting you. Honda guys dont like to say what they have my buddy with his 4g b16 T4 turbo hatch never popped the hood. which props to him cause everyone underestimated it and it led to winning a quick 20 bucks from th SRT guys as they were dumbfounded when they were shifting at 6000 and and the turbo was just finished spooling up there, and we'd pull past up to 9000-9500. Hondas can be fast but a b16 crx wont take a ZE mx3 with equal driving and listed mods PERIOD.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”