What gives crx's are fast?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Mxtacy

What gives crx's are fast?

Post by Mxtacy »

Hey guys i was down at a local track the other weekend for some time trials and just practice runs. I ended up lining up against my friends crx. He has some dohc motor imnot even sure what it is but anyways we lined up and i hopped him off of the line but after he stopped spinning he absoloulty killed me like no chance prolley about 15-20 car lengths before the 1320 was over. I have a klze with headers, air filter, fresh plugs wires, synthetic oil, premium gas, 15 inch lightweight rims with azenis on them. lowered 2.5 inches full 2.5 inch exhaust to a high flow muffler. ive been told my setup should yeild around 200 hp so what i dont understand is how this little crx was able to hand me my a-- so badly? Any suggestions?? lower my air pressure? maybe get a six speed tranny would help? i was thinking abou ttaking out my rear seats and passenger side seat to if that would help any? i have another friend with a civic with an elcetric supercharger and he says it runs really good do you think that would help me beat this stupid crx?

*edit- its not a case of him outdriving me either becuase i go tothe drags like 3-4 times a summer and i usually do pretty well. the car usually runs around 14.5 to 14.7 depending on the track temps.
Last edited by Mxtacy on August 21st, 2006, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

OH i think he said he had a b16a4 with hsr cams and adjustable cam gears, and a high flow air filter for mods.
klzekillerchris
BANNED Member

Re: What gives crx's are fast?

Post by klzekillerchris »

Hey there. Well to tell you the truth, you really had no chance. Your friend most likely has atleast a b16a1 in his crx and with a header, intake and GSR cams that would put out around 200hp. With those simple mods he has a better power to weight ratio than a 350z, RX8, RX7 etc.

You could lower your air pressure to help you get a little more traction off the line, I doubt a 6 speed tranny would help you out at all in this case. By the way you explained this situation I think the best thing you could do is learn how to drive your car....
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

Dood i know how to drive wicked i can get my mx3 to chirp its wheels shifting into third gear on the highway. dont tell me i cant drive. theres no way a crx with equal power to me should ba able to walk away from me that badly. My mx3 only weighs like 3500 pounds and a crx is like 3200 so 300 pds isnt going to help him out that much. like 15 car lentghs from 300 pounds? come on. my motor is fresh it was rebuilt just before i dropped it in, the guy told me it has a millenia intake manifold to which makes real good power. how would a 6 speed help me? i could rev higher and shift faster with one of those. i just dont understand this at all.
Does anybody else have any sensible comments other then i cant drive?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

actually are cars are like 2600 lbs.. and the KL engines are naturally slow..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

oh really? well in that case i should have no contest agianst a crx. How can you say our klze's are slow? mine pulls real good all my friends say the same thing when i take them for a drive. the crx is the only thing that has ever beaten me at the strip, well within reason anyways
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

The CRx is only around 2200 pounds. It's way smaller than an mx and it's a honda (cheap thin metal). That 400lb weight advantage is huge. Plus he probably has more wheel horse power if he did an engine swap.

I once saw a pair of crxs at an autocross event, both with $10K race prepared engines. Those things are wicked fast and turn like crazy.
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

Where can i get a race prepped engine for my mx3 so i can compete with a crx on the track?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

cuz i have a kl-de that pulls just as good as a ze and it feels really really slow plus i had a talon that was capable of mid 14 and even it felt slow.. im pissed at the KL engine cuz there not fast so that how i can say what i did thats just an imo
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

Well man i dunno i think my car is pretty fast with the mods i have. i think once i get my new slicks and my 75 shot of nos installed i should be able to whup that crx no problem.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Mxtacy wrote:Well man i dunno i think my car is pretty fast with the mods i have. i think once i get my new slicks and my 75 shot of nos installed i should be able to whup that crx no problem.
Are you still running your stock clutch?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
klzekillerchris
BANNED Member

Mxtacy wrote:Well man i dunno i think my car is pretty fast with the mods i have. i think once i get my new slicks and my 75 shot of nos installed i should be able to whup that crx no problem.
Personally I think you would be in the woods with slicks and a 75 s--- of nos, you should practice shifting and launching.. Learn how to drive first pal.
Mxtacy

Post by Mxtacy »

No i am not running a stock clutch. i have an exedy stage 3 with a heavey duty pressure plate aswell.

What are you talking about? how can you sit up in canada and judge my driving skill from your computer chair? I'd like to see you drive klzekiller.... prolley call yourself that becuase you cant drive and blow your motors up from missing shifts...
klzekillerchris
BANNED Member

I can tell you have no idea what you are doing just by the way you are talking... But anyhow go get your nos, slicks, six speed tranny and go try to beat some CRX's bud. Your still gonna lose.....
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

14.5 for the ze with some mods is the usual around here for the ze.

The only mx3 I know of in the 13's had a stripped down interior with a ze and ran a 13.9. Then he blew it up with nitrous.

The crx is a fairly fast import with a swap, b16a1, b16a2, b18c.., they start at 160 hp and go up from there, with some performance parts they will have the same hp as the ze, but less torque and less weight.

I sold my 87 crx si with a fresh rebuilt engine to get a mighty mx3 v6 gs, which actually was not much if any faster than my crx. But sounded nice, ran smooth and had a few more gadgets.

Best I had my ze do in street trim was 14.385. Since then I have done headers, phelonic spacers, and possibly other minor mods but no et to see if its any faster.

Let some air out of the tires, remove extra weight (spare, jack) Ride/feather the clutch a little in first and top of second. Clean the air filter and "give er".

As others stated, I don't think you will beat a modded/swapped crx with a b16a2 or better, unless you give it nitrous or boost.

Then again I have beat a civic with a b16a2 with minor mods with my ze. And I have seen others run faster. There is always someone faster/slower

I will stop blabbering now.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”