Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey i jsut bought a 96 gs and im going to get a cold air intake built right in place at a car shop for liek 100$ j/w is that a good idea or deal ? and any one know about air boxes and if there a good idea or not? thanks
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

I have AC too - you can see how I have *very* carefully bent the pipe out of the way. I also had to move some the relays up and out of the way.

Its a tight fit for sure.
97' UK V6, Standard.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

I hope that someone see's these questions soon... here it goes:

In this picture, i have put 2 letters.
I really want to know what are these tubes for.
If someone could help me please :wink:
The A tube, is it a leftover oil tube ?
And the B tube ? mine is disconnected ... it is only with some "cork" in it :shock:

HELP ! :P
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
vasilaar

Post by vasilaar »

Hoodzy...

Are you still using that airfilter that you took a picture of? or have your put a real filter in yet?

just wondering, because it looks like a filter that i got off of ebay a while back with one of my intake kits.

if it is the same (i'm not saying it is... it's just dangerously similar) its a total peice of crap.

that intake doesn't filter anything at all.

in fact the filter part of it is all for show. ALL (or at least about 99%) or the air coming in comes through the screen at the end, which as i'm sure u can imagine doesn't have the same screening properties as the filter.

i ran that filter for a while, and sucked up SOOO much Dust, the inside of the intake pipe was caked, and even my throttle body and intake manifold were showing some serious fatigue.

that s--- can't possibly be good for the motor, so i changed it out and cleaned the hell out of it.

just pointing this out because it happened to me, i hope that you have it under control.

good luck.
Drive it like you stole it.
chertel

Post by chertel »

Is it a 2.5-3 adaptor or couplar? because on streetimports.com they are different. You either get a 2.5 or a 3 couplar but if you get an adaptor its 2.5-3 one end is smaller than the other.
thanx, just want to know because I am getting the intake from option racing on ebay.
v4NDALu

Post by v4NDALu »

and what do you think about putting the CAI behind the radiator next to the ground like this? i was wondering if it's works well here.. :?
like this:

thank u
92' mazda mx3 k8 v6
chertel

Post by chertel »

Wouldnt there be more heat there?? so you would be sucking in warm air.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

well as long as its close to the ground it should be fine but always have the sucking up water problem.. if ur not gonna have fresh air flowing near it then u'll want it as far away from the engine as possible such as where i've put it behind the headlight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Phillis

Post by Phillis »

What "coupler" or "adapter" and what size do i need to fit each side of the VAF?.....this is for the integra intake on the mx3
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Phillis wrote:What "coupler" or "adapter" and what size do i need to fit each side of the VAF?.....this is for the integra intake on the mx3
Just a silicone 3.5 to 2.5 reducer for the engine side of the VAF, and a regular silicone 2.5 coupler for the intake side, IRC.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

confirmed its a 3.5 to 2.5 inch coupler from the VAF to piping.. picked one up off ebay.. my old one wasn't high quality silicone so it was gettin all deformed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
9Red3

Post by 9Red3 »

I've just bought a 93 MX-3 (SE I believe...well, actually, gets delivered tomorrow), and I was wanting to put a cold air intake on it. But from what i've gathered from this thread is that it won't really give much HP increase? Is that correct?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Correct. Your stock intake will be quite optimal.

I think CAI only benefits larger engines with higher airflow, like ZE and DE.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

and I was wanting to put a cold air intake on it. But from what i've gathered from this thread is that it won't really give much HP increase? Is that correct?
For the most part that is correct.. its not enough of an increase by itself to make a noticeable difference. Now if you do a good CAI and do headers and better flowing exhaust system.. then you should see some noticeable gains.. remember.. a engine is really only a fancy air pump.. you can only take in as much as you can put out and vice versa.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
9Red3

Post by 9Red3 »

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna save a couple hundred bucks and not do a CAI then. I need some money to fix an exhaust leak first anyways.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”