Bad A$$ SOHC turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Just for the record. The 451 was in an rs BODY But that was on a BP engine. It was a customer's car so not my call. If lime green would switch back to his SOHC, That would be great. Then we could play. :roll:
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Minimonster are u temping me to go back to sohc. HUMM :idea:
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:Minimonster are u temping me to go back to sohc. HUMM :idea:
Hell Yeah :twisted:

Besides no one answered my Questions yes. I still want to know whats the best and badest SOHC that is or was.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Hey Minimonster,

I dont think there are any big power turbo SOHC MX3s around, since the bulk of the 4cycl MX3s that are pushing out big HP numbers are BPT or BP powered, followed by B6T and turbo 1.6 DOHC ones.

Most persons just dont see the 1.6 SOHC (88hp stock) as a viable platform to turbocharge or to modify period.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey minimonster...I have a stock 1.6l SOHC mx3 with a T3 super 60 series turbocharger pushing 9 psi. Not really bad-a-- i suppose, but it has never really been tuned or dyno'd yet, but it is alot more fun than stock. :D My sohc mx has also been turbo'd this way for over 3 years now, with no real problems.
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I've decided to postpone my BP turbo project and miss around with my other MX-3 1.6 sohc. Find out what (everyone call the suposed piece of S!HT engine) can do and whats its limits are on stock internal form. Put an end to it can't do that, just can't be done, just swap it for the BPT. Minimonster and I have yet to hear of any MX-3 sohc owner (other than hotsiit) thats has pushed it in the sohc.

with this going to be done at racingmazda the intensions are to find out what the B6-ME can really do with proper EM, put and end that a sohc can't get 300whp. if we can make we make if it can't be done well then u guys where right. end the rumors that the sohc a POS or not.

within the next six months me and turbo ric will find out what a bada$$ turbo 1.6 sohc can really do. wish me luck or piss on my luck which ever i want to find out the turth.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:put and end that a sohc can't get 300whp.
I think it can be done, but their is a difference in Horsepower vs $$ ratio. After so much HP on an engine it takes so much more $$ to make more hp. So I think we have all thought that it wouldn't be efficient. But I give you a "good Luck" If you have success then I might talk one of my cousins friends w/ a SOHC to turbo it.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Id love to see ya get 300+ hp on stock internals and see how long it lasts. It would be awsome.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Id love to see ya get 300+ hp on stock internals and see how long it lasts. It would be awsome.
lol unfortunately thats when s--- starts to hit the fan and break my friend.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

MechaManZero wrote:
XxantwawnxX wrote:Id love to see ya get 300+ hp on stock internals and see how long it lasts. It would be awsome.
lol unfortunately thats when shat starts to hit the fan and break my friend.
I know, and i love to see it : P :twisted:

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

ooo im pumped, hopefully this will give me some good insite into what i can expect outta my sohc.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The most powerful SOHC I've ever seen was YEARS ago...Burnt Orange Metallic paint, ram air scoop in hood above stock airbox location and made 400+HP w/ a T3/T4 hybrid.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I am sure he swapped head to the beefier 8-valve head in order to acheive that... although I cant seem to beleive that a SOHC b6 ever produced more than 200hp without spending just s----loads of money.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
soulsynchromachine

Post by soulsynchromachine »

any updates i know that this is an old post but i have a 89 323 and im thinking about putting together a kit on my single slammer and i was going to adapt the 16v exhaust manifold to the 8vhead just to see what it does on stock internals and i wanna use yours as sort of a guideline
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

XxantwawnxX wrote:No im not talking about megatune, its an option in megatune, at least it is in mine. I just forget what it was and i dont have my laptop atm.
your thinking of megatweak, you load in log files and it tweaks your afr and ignition maps.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif

Return to “Forced Induction”