Bad A$$ SOHC turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Minimonster

Bad A$$ SOHC turbo

Post by Minimonster »

Y do these get no attention, is it that no one is skilled are smart enough to make them work and make power. I would like to know why its always toss out for the BP or 6 cylinder, just to make 100 or low 200 hp the other ways when you can do the same thing on the SOHC. It a dam shame

What your take on it?
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Its the budgeting issue.

Most owners dont have thousands of dollars to build a motor up. Most want something quick and easy. Why waste time building an 88 hp SOHC 1.6L engine, when you can get a better platform to start modding for <$1000. Also, alot of users arent skilled in engine building. Boosting such a weak base platform will require stronger internals. Its easier to just buy than build. Buying an intake, exhaust, plugs and wires, still will get you nowhere. Why buy all the parts to build such a motor when you can purchase an engine thats over 2x the power for less? Now if smeone wants to buy a bolt on turbo, thats always possible, but unless you have the cash to build the internals, its a waste of money for the gains you'd get. Plus the engine is already 14 years old, and probably getting very high in mileage. Motor swaps are the most cost effective.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

"There's no replacement for displacement."

Like CMX said, why waste money building up an engine when you can instantly get more power for the same money AND have room to improve even further.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Custommx3 wrote:Its the budgeting issue.

Most owners dont have thousands of dollars to build a motor up. Most want something quick and easy. Why waste time building an 88 hp SOHC 1.6L engine, when you can get a better platform to start modding for <$1000. Also, alot of users arent skilled in engine building. Boosting such a weak base platform will require stronger internals. Its easier to just buy than build. Buying an intake, exhaust, plugs and wires, still will get you nowhere. Why buy all the parts to build such a motor when you can purchase an engine thats over 2x the power for less? Now if smeone wants to buy a bolt on turbo, thats always possible, but unless you have the cash to build the internals, its a waste of money for the gains you'd get. Plus the engine is already 14 years old, and probably getting very high in mileage. Motor swaps are the most cost effective.
WOW! you mentioned built motor 5 times in the post. That is crazy that you would think that motor need to be built to handle 300 whp. Besides is everyone doing that on all the BP that they swap into the cars.

Also just how much does it cost to get 200 to 250 out of the larger displacement swaps?
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I have not been dynoed but i should be well over 250 still under 300 though im guessing.
1000 KLZE
about 800 for my whole custum turbo set up (did all the work myself)
so thats about 1800 for me to go above 250hp. Assuming i am above it i should be....damn need a dyno.

I got my turbo for next to nothing so thatsnto factored in there.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

i tend to agree that you dont have to have a built motor to make some reasonable hp. A proper tuning and such on a sohc b6 pushing 7-8 psi will make reasonable hp.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

7 psi on a tuned motor that starts at 88hp...that cant come out to be more than 170hp (just a guess) and thats just crap : P

But i mean boost what ever you want to boost, im sure you can get power out of it if ya know what your doing. Just seems easier to start on a platform that has extra HP already.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

:? if poeple only knew
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote::? if poeple only knew
if people only knew what?

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Why did you go BP then??

But yes, I have to agree, The SOHC turbo kit = $2000 for the basic kit. I was able to get a BP with all of my current setup except a smaller turbo, and at 12psi dyno'd at 211 whp. And granted that it was Daily Driven. I know you could probably get that out of the SOHC, but with what 18psi off of the Small t3 you guys have in the kit?

Also the whole part of even when you go turbo the SOHC, you still need to upgrade Transmissions. Didn't you guys upgrade to the G-series when you turbo'd your SOHC? If not, how much WHP did you guys run? I know personally 3 guys that babied their f-series trannies, and racing on the highway, they hit around 5000 in 3rd and BoooM there went the differential and most of the internals....
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

BuGS wrote:
Why did you go BP then??

what are u talking about i have both BP and sohc finally found a shell too work on my little b6-me

maybe i should find out what the 1.6 sohc can really do. or

but with what 18psi off of the Small t3 you guys have in the kit?
Your Hybrid Turbo VJ20/VF12 is smaller than the T3

5000 rpm(blow up) i take my f-series on my n/a bp up to 7500rpm and i don't baby it hasn't blown on me maybe they didn't keep there fluid levels in check like i do.

i remember ric had the f-series trans a customer mx-3 that ran a 12.1 318hp@15psi 301lb trq with the sohc act clutch. it held up until he upgraded here a site. 451whp@20psi

http://www.racingmazda.com/ma_ze.htm

$2000 for the basic kit. I was able to get a BP with all of my current setup except a smaller turbo, and at 12psi dyno'd at 211 whp.

that guy spend $ and look 3 psi more and was at 318 whp spend a little more 451whp@20psi. i know we mx-3 guys are not rich (am not) if we keep nickel& dimeing it will never make power like the miata guys do. my point is u 5&10 it 211whp@12psi i want to do it too but i want power and its going to cost me my nuts. but oh well u want power u got to spend. life ain't cheap if it was we all be freaking fast. am not trying to disrepect the mx-3 commity am a mx-3 fanatic am just one person trying to do something for the MX-3.
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on May 19th, 2006, 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

Custommx3 wrote:Now if smeone wants to buy a bolt on turbo, thats always possible, but unless you have the cash to build the internals, its a waste of money for the gains you'd get.
The same could be said for engines with high compression ratios such as the KL-ZE. But the key factor in making it last longer and working more efficientlty is proper tuning. I remember when people over at mx6.com would say you were nuts for thinking about turbocharging a KL-ZE. But now its more common place because of better ways to tune.

Custommx3 wrote:Plus the engine is already 14 years old, and probably getting very high in mileage. Motor swaps are the most cost effective.
Don't most BPs come from 10 year old+ cars(Granted you get a low milage motor). Time and milage go hand in hand.
XxantwawnxX wrote:But i mean boost what ever you want to boost, im sure you can get power out of it if ya know what your doing. Just seems easier to start on a platform that has extra HP already.
That brings up another factor that none of you all have thought about. Its not always about money or how much power can you get. For some its a matter of preference. There will always be a few that will love to "stick" with SOHC engines just out of sheer originality. Sure they know they can get more power from a "better" platform, but to them beating a fast car with one less cam plus the A/C on is where they get their satisfaction from.
Bochek wrote:i tend to agree that you dont have to have a built motor to make some reasonable hp. A proper tuning and such on a sohc b6 pushing 7-8 psi will make reasonable hp.
And with Excellent tuning you can go just a bit more and get more power than anyone thought possible without touching the motor(refering to the SOHC)
Bugs wrote:But yes, I have to agree, The SOHC turbo kit = $2000 for the basic kit. I was able to get a BP with all of my current setup except a smaller turbo, and at 12psi dyno'd at 211 whp. And granted that it was Daily Driven. I know you could probably get that out of the SOHC, but with what 18psi off of the Small t3 you guys have in the kit?

Well at least with $2000 you know your getting brand new parts. I guess the comfort of knowing you have new parts doesn't sit well in the forced inducted area. All I have read is how people get deals from hand me down turbos and used engine/parts.(could be the case or not)
Bugs wrote:Also the whole part of even when you go turbo the SOHC, you still need to upgrade Transmissions. Didn't you guys upgrade to the G-series when you turbo'd your SOHC? If not, how much WHP did you guys run? I know personally 3 guys that babied their f-series trannies, and racing on the highway, they hit around 5000 in 3rd and BoooM there went the differential and most of the internals....
You guys worry about breaking transmissions whilst doing 7000 plus rpms. I have to worry about my spider gear falling loose while the transmission is off the car(and in some cases not moving at all). If that happens I dive into fun mode because I'll have to take the whole transmission apart just to put it back in place. Loads of fun.:wink:

But in all seriousness, if you want a beefy transmission, give my F2T's transmission a try. Unfortuneatly it cant "bolt up" to either mx3's engines. My turbo will go out before the engine or transmission does.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
BuGS wrote:
Why did you go BP then??

what are u talking about i have both BP and sohc finally found a shell too work on my little b6-me

maybe i should find out what the 1.6 sohc can really do. or

but with what 18psi off of the Small t3 you guys have in the kit?
Your Hybrid Turbo VJ20/VF12 is smaller than the T3

5000 rpm(blow up) i take my f-series on my n/a bp up to 7500rpm and i don't baby it hasn't blown on me maybe they didn't keep there fluid levels in check like i do.

i remember ric had the f-series trans a customer mx-3 that ran a 12.1 318hp@15psi 301lb trq with the sohc act clutch. it held up until he upgraded here a site. 451whp@20psi

http://www.racingmazda.com/ma_ze.htm

$2000 for the basic kit. I was able to get a BP with all of my current setup except a smaller turbo, and at 12psi dyno'd at 211 whp.

that guy spend $ and look 3 psi more and was at 318 whp spend a little more 451whp@20psi. i know we mx-3 guys are not rich (am not) if we keep nickel& dimeing it will never make power like the miata guys do. my point is u 5&10 it 211whp@12psi i want to do it too but i want power and its going to cost me my nuts. but oh well u want power u got to spend. life ain't cheap if it was we all be freaking fast. am not trying to disrepect the mx-3 commity am a mx-3 fanatic am just one person trying to do something for the MX-3.
Well first off the VF12/VJ20 setup it is just a tad smaller than a T3 Super 60. And the price, was very very good. Second off, I just redyno'd 2 weeks ago, and at 8 psi I hit 210whp. And what size turbo was the guy running to hit 318 at 15psi??? Cause no way it is the same one that comes with the kit. THe one in the pic is small. I don't think even a super 60 could push him to that.

And how much $$ did he spend?? like $6000? I mean come on, On the last year I have only spent around another $500 on my setup, Greddy Profec B, the VF12, and a couple other small things, and it runs just fine. Except for some leaky injectors because all of the gas stations up here never clean their tanks...
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

mr1in6billion wrote:"There's no replacement for displacement."

Like CMX said, why waste money building up an engine when you can instantly get more power for the same money AND have room to improve even further.
EXACTLY!

If its about money... I could dump my mx-3 and buy a ferrari, but its about cost effectiveness. Sure I could get 1000 whp out of an orange if I put enough money into it, but spending $2000 on buying a turbo kit for an SOHC, when for the same price you can get a better platform + tranny, thats already turboed, and still produce more power is probably the best bang for your buck.

Look @ the age of most users on this forum, 17-25. Do you think most have enough money to dump into an 88hp SOHC 1.6L just to make it fast and to be original? Most of these guys are in college or high school with limited budgets. They are looking for a cheap upgrade with a little more durability. Why not just buy a bigger engine for the same price thats lower miles, and already comes turboed? You supposedly have an SOHC thats 451hp. Im sure that wasnt just bolt-ons. Im sure you didnt spend just $2000 on a basic turbo kit either.

THink about it this way. Your 18 years old, probably making 7-8 bucks an hr. You drive a 92 SOHC, and you know its very slow. Whats your alternatives? Turbo.. theres 2 grand atleast right there. Engine swap.. engine/tranny swap... less than a grand. Now your car is the same as a stock v6 model and probably lighter too.

Also, if you want a warm welcome to this forum.. dont start off your posts like this
"is it that no one is skilled are smart enough to make them work and make power. "

There are alot of very bright people on this forum.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Well first off the VF12/VJ20 setup it is just a tad smaller than a T3 Super 60. And the price, was very very good. Second off, I just redyno'd 2 weeks ago, and at 8 psi I hit 210whp. And what size turbo was the guy running to hit 318 at 15psi??? Cause no way it is the same one that comes with the kit. THe one in the pic is small. I don't think even a super 60 could push him to that.

And how much $$ did he spend?? like $6000? I mean come on, On the last year I have only spent around another $500 on my setup, Greddy Profec B, the VF12, and a couple other small things, and it runs just fine. Except for some leaky injectors because all of the gas stations up here never clean their tanks...[/quote]

Dude thier was a link that i posted, had u check it out u could see why that much HP. http://www.racingmazda.com/ma_ze.htm i;ll let u check it out. and as far as a t3 super 60 seen then get 330+HP@25psi on a 1.6 maita.

am not going to keep agureing over i spend 500$ and am happey and i spend 6000$ and am faster. am droping it we all got to do what we can work with and wish are cars work the best everyday.

Punk i gave ur back taillight for like free. what more could u ask. bugs

Return to “Forced Induction”