Best Swap Engine for a MX-3 1.6L Engine

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

seriously, who says you need a donor car. The guys in PR just go with junk yards. They say KL-ze's cost just as much as BPT's down there. Most of them are all Motor down there though. So They said 4 cyl body is lighter so they use that.

And I think that the fastest MX-3 that weighs the heaviest is gonna be blue's. V6 turbo all the way :)
mazdachad

Post by mazdachad »

i fully agree on the bpt being the better engine and i think thats the route he should go down i was just giving him his options. I obviously love the bpt cause im going through so much more work when i could have gotten a klze and been done by now.
94 green rs
92 black gs project bpt. daily driven bpt in a gs...lovin the boost
D323

Post by D323 »

True you can get all the parts for the j/y for the conversion (its where I got all of mine ;) ) a donor just makes it that much easier.

Unless you have the hook up at the j/y they will eat you alive with all of the crap you will have to pull.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

D323 wrote:True you can get all the parts for the j/y for the conversion (its where I got all of mine ;) ) a donor just makes it that much easier.

Unless you have the hook up at the j/y they will eat you alive with all of the crap you will have to pull.
I completley agree.

A BPT is more than a ZE period as far as motor swap goes.

A ZE in a 4cl will cost alot more, u need wiring harnesses, exhaust parts, drive train, ect. And if your 4cl is lowered, better change those springs back or get GS lowering springs. (speaking from experience, RS spings will cause a GS to drag the ground almost)
jorcool13

Post by jorcool13 »

You can't do the ZE Turbo? Because that's what I want, to do that engine turbo!
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
barbarino69

1.6L DOHC-KLZE

Post by barbarino69 »

Hey, Im planning on doing the same thing you are looking into. Im swapping my 1.6L DOHC for a KLZE. Needless to say Ive been told about all of the problems with this swap, yes its a hard swap and it can be costly unless you know people. Just talk around on the board, I actually know a guy down here in florida who can get KlZE's pretty cheap. I dont know where you live or if he can get them shipped. Im getting mine from him. As far as a parts list goes, its pretty extensive, im working on a list for myself once Im done, Ill post it on here.

This swap is definately possible, and I reccomend using a v6 donor. Just go to a local junk yard and get one cheap. Also, take your time, and if you dont know what you are doing, find someone that does to help you. Most of the v4-v6 swaps that ive heard about only went wrong becuase they rushed it or settled for a POS part. My suggestion to you is this. First get all of the parts required to do the v4-v6 swap, also if your car isnt manual, you should do a atx-mtx swap too. Just stockpile all the parts before you get the engine. Make sure anything you get from a junkyard is in good condition before using it. Rebuild it if it needs to be rebuilt. Once you get the engine, I also suggest doing a rebuild on that too. Gaskets, belts, pulley's. The works. This is costly, but it will ensure that the klze will run well. Dont just buy all the parts get the engine and drop em in and expect them to run well. It just isnt like that. Use the search function on the site for more info. Also check out MOCA'S site too, they are good guys and have swap info on their boards. Just research, Ive been researching engines for about a year now. Good luck and hit me up if you have any questions. Once i get started on my swap, Im gonna start a v4-v6 thread, hopefully it'll help.
WTF

Post by WTF »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44734

I must agree the BPT swap is very reliable, but check out this thread of a KL-ZE.

I know its awesome to be doing 14 and 13 on turbo, but when you got one of those KL-ZE stock (without porting the head or any internals) keeping up with you all motor then thats a mean engine.

KL-ZE on MX-3 will be doing 14 second passes all night by just dropping that block into your car and thats it. Once again the BPT has a lot of potential, but got to admit the KL-ZE is one mean contender.
How can I remove Mazda Enthusiast?
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

well im def going to have to say the bpt into a 4 cyl mx-3 is very easy. lots more than a v6 to 4cyl. it drops right in. then oh man i want more power if you have it tuned for that then you just turn the knob up and there you go. when i get home im going to do exhaust to mine and then i should be done and ill be going to the tracks and hoping for some mid to low 13's if not maybe some high 12's with slicks if i can.

this is on just a stock bpt gtr motor with haltech and raised boost. internally stock
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

The KL-ZE deffinately isn't the best idea for a I4 car. Just spray a BP. That'll give you 14's.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”