Just Finished my Head Job!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Typhoonk - I am currently doing a rebuild on my head as well... Should have the job finished on monday.. Definately replace all exaust valves. Intake valves can likely be bead blasted and smoothed and should be fine. I am pricing exaust valves for my head now and its looking like they are going to be $30 each USD. Replacing the springs is a good idea as well. New valve seals. Typically a good head rebuild by a good shop will run you around a total of $700-800 USD depending... if you replace all your valves, intake & exaust.. could get more spendy. Might as well do the timing belt at the same time. The Gasket kit I just bought, which includes: head gasket, intake, exaust manifold gaskets, valve cover seal and valve seals came to a total of $175 usd. Obviously your prices will vary.. but I hope this will help give you an idea of what to expect. Granted my head is different than yours, but I doubt the prices would be that much different. Good luck man.

Tunes67
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

My friend laughed when he saw the title... But anyways it sounds like everything is workin good!
Tric

Post by Tric »

My head a complete re-build was about $699 Canadian that’s taking my old head in and trading for the new one they gave me $250 for my core. It’s cheaper to get a complete re-man then taking it to a shop by quite a bit!! Just for all the valves and seal’s come to the same price as a re-man but if you get a re-man everything is seated and built back up to speck way better way to go!!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

It’s cheaper to get a complete re-man then taking it to a shop by quite a bit!! Just for all the valves and seal’s come to the same price as a re-man but if you get a re-man everything is seated and built back up to speck way better way to go!!
Yes it can be cheaper to go this route.. by quite a bit.. and if you know the people that did the work on the reman head, then you are probably getting a decent deal. But consider this, you dont know where that reman head came from or what it went through prior to being remanufactured. Yes it will probably be fine, but these heads are mass produced to achieve the highest profit for the least amount of cost. If your fixing up a daily driver/grocery getter car.. this is probably the way to go. If you demand performance from your car.. racing or a turbo head.. I would definately consider going with a more personalized approach. Basically the old addage of "You get what you pay for" can come back to haunt you if you go the cheaper route. Just my 2 cents.

Tunes67
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Hey tric; I am looking to just get my engine to be more efficient. Where'd you get a re-man'd head from for that price?

I called a couple of shops in the T.O. and they wanted $1475 for a re-man'd one. That was the cheapest!!! And when I e-mailed a couple in the states, they were a little more decent but the cheapest was $975 USD

so where'd you get your's from?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Tric

Post by Tric »

I got mine done by a place in Que.. ummm I forget the name but what happen is I have a friend that works in a import shop and they get all the heads from there.. they do a really nice job... I did some research and UAP-NAPA. they also can get you a head from the same place. if you ask!! umm make sure you have the casting number off the end of the head!! I will P.M. you when I find the name of the place I have it somewhere here on a pice of paper!! they did a really nice job tho!! like I said every thing done from all the valevs all the seats.. umm and built up the cam surface..
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

did you find the name of the shop or a phone number from where you got your head?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Napa in the states do head rebuilts with OEM stuff for like $500.
Tric

Post by Tric »

Typhoonk wrote:did you find the name of the shop or a phone number from where you got your head?
Sorry been kinda busy this week with work and all but heres the info!!

there called "Cylinder head Center" there in the montrel area they did an amazing job on my Cylinder head!!

here is the link to there web site

http://www.chcentre.com/welcome.htm

and phone 1-800-361-4170

they even have a cool video you can watch on the site!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”