SWAP EXPERIENCE !

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Thumbs Up

SWAP EXPERIENCE !

Post by Thumbs Up »

Hello I live in the Northern Va. area and wanted to see if there was anyone around who could do / or help me with a KL03 swap into my stock GS ? anyone with any recommendations?

* Stay Clean *
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I believe Gro Harlem is in MD and I believe he posted some time ago that he'd be willing to do swaps for people for a few hundred dollars or something like that.
RizzeRocket

Post by RizzeRocket »

meh i'd give u hand but this is gonna be my first swap ever:) should be fun tho :P
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Its really no more harder then pulling the stock k8 and throwing it back in. You just need the proper ecu and vaf. Any mechanic should have no troubles with it,.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Try and match the years of your K8 and DE. 92 to 93 and 94 up.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont iunderstand but my friend luis told me they had trouble with his, he had to keep the k8 manifold because some sensors would not match and his engine looks not int the same place am my k8.. is it really that easy?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Thumbs Up

Post by Thumbs Up »

Right I mean I know it is not suppose to be that hard to do, I just rather have someone who has done it help be bc I don't wanna have a headache trying to get it to work. Thanks though, I know theres gotta be someone in the D.C. Area though thats done this.
* Stay Clean *
Thumbs Up

Post by Thumbs Up »

Hey laker thanks is Harlem somewhere on the forum where I can contact him ? And Rizz yeah if it comes down to it I would def try to just do it and would be greatful to have a hand.

Thanks
* Stay Clean *
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

2fazed wrote:Try and match the years of your K8 and DE. 92 to 93 and 94 up.
Why? The only thing I can think would be an issue would be the distributor from the MX3 would need to be used and the coolant neck from the MX3 used. Other than that, 92-97 are all interchangable.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'm right here...i posted a thread about my enigne swap services here:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=38080
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

lakersfan1 wrote:
Why? The only thing I can think would be an issue would be the distributor from the MX3 would need to be used and the coolant neck from the MX3 used. Other than that, 92-97 are all interchangable.
True, you can just swap teh coolant neck w/the 3rd coolant sensor if you need to. Thats the only difference I know of besides the disty which you can swap out w/ease.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Thumbs Up

Post by Thumbs Up »

Hey, Thanks alot I appreciate the help, I'll def. let you know Gro about the swap. Hopefully I can follow through with it.

Is your friends ZE still for sale? condition of the motor? miles? tranny? ....? So basically besides the 400 how much more is need for misc parts from your experiecne?
* Stay Clean *
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'll sell the engine for 840 (800 + md sales tax) bux flat out since that is what I paid and my a--hole friend never paid me back. The motor is unused & I witnessed the engine place test it on their machine, It started right up & looks pretty damn clean. I got pics AIM me if you want me to send you some.

I have the proper intake manifold & throttle body as well (the curved-neck) so we can insttall that as well.

No transmission. Is yours a 5spd or manual? I have spare 5spd parts, but not a full transmission.

Misc parts costs is up to you and what you want to replace. I HIGHLY suggest getting new timing belt & water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, thermostat gasket. Valve cover gaskets is up to you but you could get away with using some gasket maker on them. Oil, trans fluid, clutch, coolant, hoses and clamps if you wanna replace any. Stupid stuff like that really adds up. I'd say depending on the price of ur clutch and if you have to replace the axles, just the basic stuff costs no more than $150-200. Clutch can cost from 100-400 depending on if you get a performance one. Mine was 350. (ACT street clutch). I bought two new axles too, each were like 80 dollars.

Email or PM me or AIM me if you wanna chat about it. I can give you an idea of what kinds of things you can do.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Gro Harlem wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:
True, you can just swap teh coolant neck w/the 3rd coolant sensor if you need to. Thats the only difference I know of besides the disty which you can swap out w/ease.
When I researched the swap, before I got my DE, I was told from a 93 K8 to 94 DE, that modification to the sensors/wires were needed. I had a 93 K8 to 93 DE, and all the wires, sensors were fine. Besides exchanging the Vaf, Ecu, I had to use alot of the K8 parts instead of the DE, but didn't need to buy anything extra.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The only wiring changes are:
  • No 3rd coolant sensor, so no wires for it, but if you tap the pipe and fit the sensor, it's no change
  • The wiring of the 3 pin connector on the disty is swapped round, but if you keep the old disty, it's no change.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”