drag launching rpms's

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
torpedan

Re: drag launching rpms's

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by nvrsrndr:
Originally posted by torpedan:
Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
my problem is hopping, its actually hard to not make my car hop isntead of spinning...
Yeah suspension makes a big diffrence but i would suggest a good aftermarket clutch with a lightened flywheel. you would be suprised how this changes launching
you are absolutely right about the clutch and lightened flywheel. I got my fidanza and my car shifts like butta. usually I dump at 4-5 grand. One problem I am having though is that my tranny won't let me switch from first to second when above 6500 rpm on my klze unless I double clutch. In away that's okay cause 2nd pulls harder than 1st. :D
Yeah i have the same trouble, given with both have G tranies. 2nd gear syncro doenst like over 6500. its annoying.

1st is always so short ;)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

I ran a 9.7 w/1.1 reaction and 2.3 60'. I spun through first and half of second. My trape are consistent 72.xx mph. Got a loy of practicing to do.
65 shot > V8
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by dewthis:
I ran a 9.7 w/1.1 reaction and 2.3 60'. I spun through first and half of second. My trape are consistent 72.xx mph. Got a loy of practicing to do.
Nice.. i usually run 9.9x with a 2.1 60ft and i wotn tell you my reaction time cause i dun like to brag ;)

But yeah just watch th light and figure out the pattern and its easy=]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

My best reaction was a .7 but my times got worse. Guess I was cocentrating more on reaction than actually getting down the track? I'm pretty sure when I get some good tires and get the "tree" down, I'll be good for low 9's. With a little N2o I hope to be in the 8's? Practice makes perfect, I've only been to the track twice and cut .5 sec. off my time.
65 shot > V8
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by dewthis:
My best reaction was a .7 but my times got worse. Guess I was cocentrating more on reaction than actually getting down the track? I'm pretty sure when I get some good tires and get the "tree" down, I'll be good for low 9's. With a little N2o I hope to be in the 8's? Practice makes perfect, I've only been to the track twice and cut .5 sec. off my time.
Yeah practice helps a lot. It also takes a few lanuches to learn when to launch your car to cut .5's I launch mine as the 2nd yellow up goes out.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
curve

Post by curve »

Yeah I have the same damn trouble with second gear and I wish there was a way to fix it. Im going back to the track this weekend in hopes to go into the 12's but if second won work for me it aint gunna happen.
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

1/4 mile times 13.46 at 103
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

dayyyyum 12's :eek: what u got under there man !!
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

i launch at about 2000-2300 and just get some small wheel spin or a chrip thats how i pull on my friends sir delsol(by almost a carlenght) but he kills me third gear :D
i love my clutch and flywheel :2thumbsup:

<small>[ July 13, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Marlon ]</small>
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Jon_Carnie

Post by Jon_Carnie »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
dayyyyum 12's :eek: what u got under there man !!
i think they are talking 1/8th mile..?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

well 12 for a 1/8 is kind of slow no?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Haha, yes, I believe I could run lower with stock GS.

I would imagine a ZE would pull 9.5ish (give or take).
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

I just got my mx-3 recently and have not gotten the change to mod it or race it, but i have tooled around with launching. and there is no way on earth that i would be able to roast my tires through first and i'd be dreaming if i thought i could scream 'em through second... :(

what do you guys have for hp?!?!

as far as i can tell the stock hp for mine is 88hp (1.6 sohc) and there were no mods before i bought it...
1993 RS Teal
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by happyclown:
I just got my mx-3 recently and have not gotten the change to mod it or race it, but i have tooled around with launching. and there is no way on earth that i would be able to roast my tires through first and i'd be dreaming if i thought i could scream 'em through second... :(

what do you guys have for hp?!?!

as far as i can tell the stock hp for mine is 88hp (1.6 sohc) and there were no mods before i bought it...
My car if very far from being stock. With my brothers GS i can launch at 6k on the street. At the track i will try it on the rev limiter =]

SOHC tend not to be tire roasters in stock trim
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
curve

Post by curve »

No im talking about 12's in the quarter. I managed to do it by going 12.46 at 113 mph this weekend. That was spraying 125 shot which put me laying about 345 to 350 whp. I am lugging lots of weight in the car as far as stereo goes. Next step 11's. Thats why Im getting in on the group buy for the klze turbo kit. I just purchased a t3 super 60 turbo which is good for about 25 psi and now the rest of the kit is being pieced together.
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

curve

Post by curve »

that is an old list of some of the things done to it. It know has a 5 angle valve job. Ported and polished heads. cams have been reground. Titanium valves and springs. Its make 275 cranck hp off the bottle and 400 chp on it.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”