Smooth Lowering Springs??

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sam Baker

Re: Smooth Lowering Springs??

Post by Sam Baker »

first of all.. i aint cuttin my springs! and Gro man thanks for the insight in zx2's and ground-controls. i'm goin for the struts, but i'm not that much into the performance aspect. with a sway bar, strut bars, and the zx2's, i'm sure the handling will be much better than stock. ;) i'm a racer, but also a commuter, so that also has to come into play when i buy springs. GC is an awesome company, but i need something that keeps my a$$ from goin numb :cool:
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
I'm not even going to comment. So many people here don't listen to anything anyone says, and still continue to want to "cut my springs".

Most of MX-3.com = All show, no go
thats rite... just cuz it looks good doesnt mean it is good. i can understand cutting springs to find out how low you want it but to drive on them as a means of daily transportation is something else. your suspension could not have gotten stiffer suspension by cutting your springs.that alone is common logic...
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by Steeb:
your suspension could not have gotten stiffer suspension by cutting your springs.that alone is common logic...
Umm, yes it could. Look at the formula for spring rate.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

having less springs for same weight... ok yes stock progressive rate springs get stiffer as you compress them but with less spring they compress faster given the weight sitting on top of them is still the same. my point is even if it is stiffer your going to bust a hole in the bottom of your struts one day... bottom line, cut springs will not make your suspension better in anyway besides visually
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by Steeb:
having less springs for same weight... ok yes stock progressive rate springs get stiffer as you compress them but with less spring they compress faster given the weight sitting on top of them is still the same. my point is even if it is stiffer your going to bust a hole in the bottom of your struts one day...
I disagree
bottom line, cut springs will not make your suspension better in anyway besides visually
I do agree.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

LOL u guys are funny! :D
i remember somebody talkin about "driving to work on a racetrack" and actually.. i DO drive to work on a race track! LOL its at the airport, so theres a long smooth straightaway that later curves behind it and its really nice. but that isnt what i was concerned about. highways in CA suck more than u could believe. going above 65 ot 70 mph will actually damage your car (and thats the flow of traffic!!)

anywayz, just thot i'd add that. one more question tho, to those who have done the zx2 conversion.. have you had any problems? and how hard was it? cuz i'll be doing that within a week or 2 and will drill out stock strut mounts to fit. good idea or no? thanx a lot

~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by Sam Baker:
anywayz, just thot i'd add that. one more question tho, to those who have done the zx2 conversion.. have you had any problems? and how hard was it? cuz i'll be doing that within a week or 2 and will drill out stock strut mounts to fit. good idea or no? thanx a lot

~ sam
Sure it's a good idea.

The drilling or grinding takes about 15 mins.

Everything else is just bolting stuff on.

The ZX2 S/R struts are pretty good on the street with the right springs. There's definately worse and stiffer out there. They're a good compromise for sure.

~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
stevensantiago

Post by stevensantiago »

hello.
well about 7 months ago i lowered my car by cutting the springs 2.5 turns because i was bored and with 18" wheels it looks great! however, the only good thing i got from it was that all the chicks that got in my car had their **** bouncing, but now i am tired of the way the car feels (bouncing all the time) and anything will feel better than what i have right now. Does any one know about some coilovers that will work for an mx·3. please let me know cus my butt hurts alot already. oh and i hope that the one that posted this does not get mad at me for asking, Thanks a lot.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by steven92:
hello.
well about 7 months ago i lowered my car by cutting the springs 2.5 turns because i was bored and with 18" wheels it looks great! however, the only good thing i got from it was that all the chicks that got in my car had their **** bouncing, but now i am tired of the way the car feels (bouncing all the time) and anything will feel better than what i have right now. Does any one know about some coilovers that will work for an mx·3. please let me know cus my butt hurts alot already. oh and i hope that the one that posted this does not get mad at me for asking, Thanks a lot.
coilovers are not what you want. perhaps some springs and kyb struts would be more suited to your taste if all u want is to be lowered.

<small>[ October 08, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Steeb ]</small>
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

wow 18" wheels! LOL
and i like ur story haha thats tight.. so for a non-bouncy ride, i would go with KYB's aaaaand some kind of lowering spring that doesnt go past 1.5", because KYB's arent good for lower than that, and how far CAN you go on 18" wheelz? lol maybe Eibach's for springs. it would ride nice i think. and if u ever wanna go KYB, i have a set for sale. anywayz good luck ;)
~ sam :werd:
92 Autozam AZ3
mightym0use5

Post by mightym0use5 »

Just wanted to add that i have intrax springs and kyb gr2 struts. I like the drop it gave my car. The ride is smoother than with other springs. The problem is that they are not as stiff as other springs which means that they would not be so good for performance whcih means the handling isn't as good as you would get with other springs - specially the eibachs. For everyday driving the are good, but if you want to do some autocross, i suggest eibachs.

On a side note if you get intrax - get front and rear bars - that will help with the handeling.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

:) :) cant wait to get em all in!
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”