Building up a 1.8 v6...anyone done it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Hy300

Re: Building up a 1.8 v6...anyone done it?

Post by Hy300 »

Yeah, tickets first for you. No use swapping an engine if they impound your car or just can't drive it because of warrants.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
2.5 cams and TB should be something of a performance boost. <p>Boring the TB would be dumb when you can just swap to a KL.
<hr></blockquote>
Whats the stock size of a KL TB?
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
Ya see im thinkin about buildin up the k8 but i dunno...Right now i kind of want to just swap to a 2.5 for the huge performance jump but i really cant justify getting rid of a perfectly fine running engine. I was considering making a custom turbo set up and some nitrous, and i was also considering getting my heads ported and polished since i need to take them off anywyas(need to replace valve seals, burns a little bit of oil). HAHA before i do ANYTHING i need my tickets paid off... :) <hr></blockquote><p>I understand your are quite confuse if you either use the orignal engine, or a 2.5l one.<p>Now, what is your objective? :) concentrate on that..<p>2.5l N/A is more reliable than turbo engine, so it is said. I would suggest swap, for about 1000 US$ with a 2.5l .. ;) <p>If you wanna go drag with it.. well, depends on which class you wish to attend.. just check where you'll be racing what are the classes.. Oh well.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:

Whats the stock size of a KL TB?
<hr></blockquote><p>60 milimeters.
Manach

Still got 3 Engines!

pelado

Post by pelado »

What's the stock size of a K8 TB?
Smaller than 60mm.<p>I'll be happy to sell someone the throttle plate from the KL TB that I had bored to 64mm but it would be easier for someone to just buy a used KL TB.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
chance

Post by chance »

I had a pretty good, as well as cheap proformace boost when i put on a set of thermal spacers, did the port matching thing, swaped to the 2.5 TB with the home aid intake, and got rid of my banjo bolt. oh, i also pull the vac line on my FPR when ever i was at the track.
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

If anyone wants them done.. i bore throttle bodies.. for i charge 150.. if interested PM me. at sprintchamp02@aol.com
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

well i really dont have a goal right now LOL!! Im just taking in different ideas...I would love to swap but i just cant justify getting rid of my current engine since its still running beautifully..I mean if i had money to swim in I would do the swap in an instant....ahhhh i dunnooooo maybe ill just keep my car the way it is and have more money for gas :)
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
andy

Post by andy »

Stock Dia on a K8 TB is 55mm. Thanks goes out to Pelado for checking on the 2.5L TB for me. He test fit a 2.5l, 60mm dia TB on a k8 intake and said the fit was great.
Now back to the question at hand.
I'm with Dave on this one. If you invest more than about $1000 on upgrades to the K8 you might be lucky and net 15-20hp. Even a kl-de will give you 30hp for the same price.
With that said, I have just begun the process of modifiying my K8. I know its been ten years since we purchased it and I'm just now getting around to mods, oh well. I won't be sinking large amounts of money into it either. I won't have high expectations I just enjoy working on cars.
My situation is different than most. My 14 year old daughter will inherit the mx-3 in a couple of years and I'm sure its fast enough now for her. no need for KL-DE'S or KL-ZE's.
Things I have done already: CAI,
things to do: Exhaust,high flow cat/testpipe,2.5 TB,phenolic spacers,short shifter, I will lighten the flywheel and put an act clutch in but only when the original clutch fails.
Andy P. 93 GS
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

The Kl TB is not as easy to install. The one I had has all it´s bottom end laterally reversed, which forced me to relocate few centimeters my thermostat. It isn´t such an easy task!
European Mx3 GsRT
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

The Kl TB is not as easy to install. The one I had has all it´s bottom end laterally reversed, which forced me to relocate few centimeters my thermostat. It isn´t such an easy task!
European Mx3 GsRT
pelado

Post by pelado »

I'd bet the K8 and KL bottom (IAC) would swap.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Not at all! if you look the passages that both have inide, one has an "S" shape and the other has a "Z" shape, they are totally reversed inside. Mine was coming from a Ford Probe'93, don´t know anything about others.
European Mx3 GsRT
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
I'd bet the K8 and KL bottom (IAC) would swap.<hr></blockquote><p>The throttle body from a Millenia 2.5L will work perfectly(not sure about the probe)
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Manach

Post by Manach »

What's the stock size of a K8 TB?
Smaller than 60mm.<p>I'll be happy to sell someone the throttle plate from the KL TB that I had bored to 64mm but it would be easier for someone to just buy a used KL TB.
<hr></blockquote><p>Mazdasly, on the Mx-3 Québec Club is boring the TB to 68 milimeters.. ;) <p>Gotta find more air! :p<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Manach ]</p>
Manach

Still got 3 Engines!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”