Building up a 1.8 v6...anyone done it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

Building up a 1.8 v6...anyone done it?

Post by mx3man83 »

Hey guys with the 1.8...anyone ever built up our little weenie v6? Im not talking internals(pistons, rods, etc..), I'm talking maybe upgraded fuel pump, spark, larger injectors, intake, exhaust, headers, full exhaust, lightened or aluminum flywheel, aftermarket clutch?? Will the apex s-afc do any good in non-turbo applications?? How about boring out the throttle body, does that really help out at all? How about porting and polishing the heads?? Grinding the cams??? Anyone ever attempted this to the 1.8?? With all of this i dunno i think we have some potential to get 30 HP+...Of course i have no facts to back that up but im hoping there is someone on here who has built up their 1.8 and can post about their results...thanks..<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</p>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Re: Building up a 1.8 v6...anyone done it?

Post by mx3man83 »

Oh and if u plan on posting with "save your money and buy a klze or klde" dont waste UBB space..i dont wanna see it..This post is strictly on the 1.8.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

OH and of course the all powerful nitrous kit as well...I think that with all of the mods i have listed the 1.8 could be a mean motor scooter...what do you all think?
:eek:
My Cardomain site
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

hey man welcome to board, most people here scram enough money to get ze's but right now i cant i have other projects so i thought of this too, i am thinking about port and polish heads, maybe ms8 intake manifold, larger fuel pump with regulator, perf spark plugs, CAI, headers if u can afford them.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

LOL "welcome to the board"..hey bro ive been her for a while!! BUt thanks for the reply..i didnt think people would pay attention to this thread...IM hoping to get a good response from people that have actually attempted these mods...Like 90 percent of people on this board have the ever popular intake and exhaust, but i want to hear from the guys that have had their heads ported and polished, use the s-afc on a N/a application, things like that...Anyone out there??? Oh im not saying that i didnt want to hear from you, but u know what i mean... :D
My Cardomain site
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i believe there was a guy on here who made his 1.8 a 2.2 litre. Maybe try searching for that.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

I'm using a 65mm TB and the seat dyno has noticed some improvements in acceleration, but probably only because i was running always on the rich side to begin with. :shrug:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I have a KF-ZE which is basically a 1.8L bored to a 2.0L, high compression pistons,better cams, and a different intake manifold. Its ~ 170 HP stock. Im adding my phenolic spacers, going to use a ported 1.8L IM. Im gonna get a 65mm TB, upgraded fuel pump, ported/polished heads, underdrive pulley, headers, maybe some interprep cams,do the banjo bolt mod(search probetalk forums for info on this), and about a 50 shot of NOS. The if I can find it, the wiring harness/ECU for my engine.
I may add water injection and a turbo in the future. <p>while im on the subject, anyone know of an ODBI monitoring hardware for a PC? Ive seen the ODBII, but I dont have ODBII.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Tekguy had his heads ported and polished, installed cams, headers, exhaust, intake, ported manifold, etc, and dyno'd 127whp. A stock KLDE will put down 140whp, and he sure put alot more than 1000USD into that motor. Nobody messes with a K8DE because it's so much cheaper to make power with a 2.5L. No replacement for displacement.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by killerpickle:
i believe there was a guy on here who made his 1.8 a 2.2 litre. Maybe try searching for that.<hr></blockquote><p>In my original post i think i mentioned mods that have nothing to do with internals(which would include pistons, which would have to be changed if it were to be bored to a 2.2)<p>On another note: wow he did all of that work to the k8 and got 127 hp??? That is horrible...I imagagine dropping a grand into the klde and THEN doing those mods would be the way to go....or if youve really got cash to throw around start out with a klze....oh well...anyways thanks guys that what i was looking for.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</p>
My Cardomain site
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

I have Steve heads and cams on my motor right know and there wasnt that much of a gain. I also put the 2.5l injectors in and thats a big no no unless you can get alot more air in there some how(turbo etc.) Hope that helps you out
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
pelado

Post by pelado »

2.5 cams and TB should be something of a performance boost. <p>Boring the TB would be dumb when you can just swap to a KL.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: pelado ]</p>
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well boring your TB as opposed to swapping to a 2.5 would be very smart if your dad is a machinest :)
My Cardomain site
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

MX3man83: I'm in the process of building up a K8. I'll have the project near completion by the end of March. I'll put dyno figures on here after then. Ontop of my project (which doesn't change compression yet) I hope to install nitrous by Carlisle, so you can see the final results then. As well, the conclusion of the project will include high compression ratios and a turbo.<p>I've heard all the things about Tekguy's K8 project so I was uneasy at first. Though I realized I want to have the pride and honor of working with the engine and vehicle I was given and making great things from that. PM me with questions if you want, but my E-mail is down for a while, so just be patient.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Ya see im thinkin about buildin up the k8 but i dunno...Right now i kind of want to just swap to a 2.5 for the huge performance jump but i really cant justify getting rid of a perfectly fine running engine. I was considering making a custom turbo set up and some nitrous, and i was also considering getting my heads ported and polished since i need to take them off anywyas(need to replace valve seals, burns a little bit of oil). HAHA before i do ANYTHING i need my tickets paid off... :)
My Cardomain site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”