Homemade solid/poly motor mount

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Homemade solid/poly motor mount

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guys, <BR> if you have been following my posts, you know I've been b----ing about my front motor mount being busted. I've tried to think of any way to fix the problem without buying the mount from the dealer... too expensive! I was digging around in the garage today and found some extra casters... polyurethane casters. They looked to be about the same size as the front motor mount. After some intial measuring, I decided to try and make it work. Apparently the fron motor mount is exactly 3" I.D.! After minimal trimming of the caster, and cleaning of the mount, the caster was beat into the mount and VOILA! It's amazing how much power you lose when your engine is flopping around in the engine bay every time you shift gears. I'm ready to hunt some Honda's now...<P> Image Image Image [img]http://www.wpe%20direct.com/images/mount2.jpg[/img]
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
jasonbierschwale

Re: Homemade solid/poly motor mount

One more pic... don't know why that happened. Image
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Some guys took out the stock insert and welded thick flatwashers to the sides of the mount housing. Quite solid. Hope you like swapping trannys though, cause most people crack tranny housings with solid mounts. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
jasonbierschwale

??? What's the real risk factor here? I don't want to be buying a tranny any time soon... I don't rag on my car very hard at all... I do like to catch a second gear squeal every now and then, but nothnig serious. The polyurethane I used is very stiff... it may as well be a solid mount. Thx! :(
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

You're not cushioning the drivetrain movement. That's the danger. It's restricted to move only where the chassis lets it. Which isnt much. Just be careful and don't bang off shifts. And for heaven's sake, don't run a puck clutch with this!
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”