NO REAR DEFROSTER.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
crusher

NO REAR DEFROSTER.

Post by crusher »

I own a 94 GS and the rear defroster does not work. The dealer wanted $250 to install a new switch, but wasn't sure that would fix it. Has anyone had this problem? Is there an easy fix?
tk1138

Re: NO REAR DEFROSTER.

Post by tk1138 »

If you have a Multi-Meter you can measure the resistance of the dfroster, it should be fairly low, less than 1k Ohms. If it's high, check for cuts (I had a honda that the defrost lines got cut through when someone did a bad window tint job). Check for continuity (low resistance) between the defroster and ground if the resistance is high the problem probably lies between the defroster and ground.<P>Is there a click and does a light comeon when you press the button? if not you might try checking the switch to see if it's pluged in. One of the lines to the switch should be at 12V with respect to car ground. If you can't find it then the problem is probably between the switch and the battery. If there is good voltage to the switch, check the other contact as you toggle it, if it goes between 12 and 0 as you toggle the switch is good, and there's a break in between the switch and the defroster.<P>After that try following the circut around the car to try to find where it's broken. <P>Hope this helps. tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Does the light come on when you press the switch?
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Mine stopped working recently too.<P>Any my high-beams won't go on when you switch it into high-beam mode but it will go on when you hold the lever back so I know its not the actual bulbs that are not working.<P>I think the two problems are maybe related?<P>Anyone have any ideas?
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

it sounds like it could be the switch. andrew, the "otherside" of the switch, the one that should click for ur highs not the one you pull back on, might have a bad connection somewhere.<BR>i would check the rear-defroster fuse, too. it might save you guys time and money.<BR>goodluck
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

what happened to me was the rear defroster stopped working but the light didn't come on either. Turns out I had left it on for a while without knowing, so the fuse blew on it. Simple to fix...just check it!
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Yeah I think so - to be honest, I actually got a mechanic to fix mine...I didn't know what was wrong with it at first, but it IS the fuse if its the light.
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

ur light is prob just burnt out. the light might have a separate line of wires, so check it if you dig back there. the beeping is from a fuse or bad wiring prob. most of the probs u'll run into will be fuses or the wiring.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

I have a '92rs and the defroster still works, but the light doesn't come on when I push the button. My question is: do you have to turn the defroster off by pushing the button again or is the switch timed to turn off after a certain amount of time? i would replace the bulb, but don't feel like tearing the whole dash apart just to replace the bulb. Also I noticed that if I leave my overhead lights on it doesn't drain my battery. Is there some kind of idiot switch that cuts power to them when you accidently leave them on after the key is removed? Thanks in advance for the replies! ;)
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

there is a plug in the back window that is the power supply to the defroster. mine pops out if i slam the trunk really hard.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”