Can't fit drum over new brake shows on 93

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
deeblo
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Can't fit drum over new brake shows on 93

Post by deeblo »

Hey all,
While I'm only a weekend warrior, this is actually the first time I've ever done brake shoes.
The car is up and on jacks, the parking brake is off, I did the driver's side, and while it was difficult to get the drum cover back on, I got it.
I also noticed there appears to be no adjustment star like most online guides show.
I tried searching this forum to see if anyone has any helpful hints or guides, but alas it was to no avail.

So, the issue is that I pulled the drum cover off, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, removed all the springs, retainers, shoes, put it all back together, but I don't see any sort of adjuster. I can push the piston in fine, but can't push the shoes in enough to get the drum cover on.
Is there an adjuster anywhere on a 93 mx3 with drums?
How do I go about adjusting it for the new shoes?

It appears as though this vehicle is self-adjusting, but I still can't figure out how to reset the adjustment to allow the cover to clear the new shoes.

Thanks!
deeblo

Re: Can't fit drum over new brake shows on 93

Post by deeblo »

Replying to my own thread with an answer for future folks.

The parking brake link (I think that's what it's called) has the adjustment in it. Need to put it all together and tap it a few times with a flat head screw driver to "reset" it.
Once done, tap on the part on the right of it to pull the brakes out.

http://imgur.com/a/tYgwl

Put the drum cover on, it should be snug, but allows the hub to spin with a slight bit of resistance.
Once fully re-assembled, you can proceed to bleed the brakes, rear pass first, rear driver next, front pass next, and front driver last. Don't forget to keep fluid topped off, dot3 only.
speedray

Re: Can't fit drum over new brake shows on 93

Post by speedray »

Hello,

I have just seen your post and the part that you refer to is the auto adjustment.

When i have done drum brakes in the past i would use a flat blade screwdriver between the 2 parts and allow them to spring back to the zero position.
Once the pads have been replaced and the drum re-assembled use the foot brake and parking brake a few times to obtain the right position for the auto adjuster.

Then continue to bleed the brakes.

This is the way that i have found to work for me.
The quieter you are the more you can hear.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”