Quick Release Steering Wheel

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Tfries-cc
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Tfries-cc »

So I'm trying to figure out how to get all the proper pieces to install a quick release steering wheel in my '96 mx3.

I just want to make sure that what I have will all work together and that I am properly understanding all the pieces I need and how it works.

So from what I understand, the hub is specific to the car, so if I purchase a hub such as
http://www.amazon.com/1992-1996-Mazda-S ... B004FOS5WM

And then buy a quick release adaptor and steering wheel such as this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/350MM-WHITE-WOOD ... d5&vxp=mtr

That it will all fit together.
From what I got from reading on forums and researching is that the hub will fit into the car and then any adaptor/quick release that I purchase will fit into that hub, therefore I could potentially buy any wheel I want and attach it to this hub?

Also I do want to ensure that the wheel is closer to me when I drive, will I need a spacer? or will this bring it out from the stock position enough

Thanks
XelderX

Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by XelderX »

You need to decide what kind of steering wheel you want first. The wheels with three mounting holes are not interchangeable with the ones with 6 mounting holes. Most of your non-american made wheels will be the 6 bolt style. If you are going with a 6 bolt wheel you'll need a hub, quick release, and wheel. Pretty much all the Mazda steering shafts use identical hubs. The quick release will move the steering toward you about 2.5 inches. You'll need to do something about the horn as you won't be able to use a horn button in the middle of the wheel unless you want to unplug it everytime you take the steering wheel off.
XelderX

Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by XelderX »

Also forgot to add...

The quick release adaptor will have a little bit of play in it. You may find it slightly annoying. There are two types of quick release adaptors that I know of. One with a hexagonal shaft and one with a splined shaft. I have a hexagonal one...I can't comment on if the splined version has less or more play in it.

Return to “Appearance”