Need some mechanics assistance

Off-Topic Discussions
icajewler
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need some mechanics assistance

Post by icajewler »

I tried asking Elantra forum members, but none of them are as mechanically gifted as most of you guys on here. My Elantra is slowly dying quicker than I can repair it. It won't go in gear very easily, it knocks very loudly when I put it in gear, there is a very loud valve train problem, alternator bearings are going, inside of cat came out in peices, flex pipe broke, radiator (full aluminum) sits sidways. And a few more annoying things. I just replaced the idle air valve and thinking about replacing the tps. But what I'm asking is, the idle control valve, vibrates even after replacing it, when I turn the key into run. I've replaced it and it still vibrates? I don't understand...
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
RobMinhas

Re: Need some mechanics assistance

Post by RobMinhas »

So you're saying its a Hyundai?

Just kidding(mostly). Your shifting clunk sounds like a bad trans mount or linkage.

No idea on the IAC though, sorry.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I'll have to check the mounts. Didn't think of that, thanks Rob. A few times I've been under there (trying to figure out what is cutting a deep groove on the inner side of my rotor, I can find nothing but pad touching it) I noticed the passenger drive axle seems loose on the transmission side. I don't know if its the differential or the output shaft. And is there a good way to diagnose the shift linkage? I'm still learning transmission culture.
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Rob had a good suggestion, check your trans mount first and see what's up with it. My son had the same complaint with his Mazda 3 and it was the mount.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I would get rid of that car ASAP. Korean cars are not known to be most reliable.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey hey hey we have a 06 Kia Sportage no say not dependable. :wink:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I get my cylinder head back from the shop next week. I'm starting to lose compression in number two. I changed the idle air control valve and the tps. It made minimal differences, but the little things add up. I have to change the head before I drive up to Rexburg Idaho at the 4 of January. Anyone have tips or warnings for me? I can change parts but I'm not much of a mechanist/machinist... :( but I'd love to learn all I can!
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you may not be losing compression from the top end. cylinder head.
you may be losing compression from the bottom end. piston rings.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I did drive it accross the country... So those rings did take a beating. But what leads me to think it's a valve problem is because something was rattling from what sounded like the second exhaust port on the head and it would rattle louder than the exhaust leak (which is the temporary flex pipe replacement) at specific engine rpms. And then one day the rattle stopped and now it sounds like there is one chamber firing louder than the rest, consistently, and the car has trouble accelerating if its below 2000 rpms. I'm also slowly losing oil and the spark plug in cylinder two has what looks like burnt oil above the threads.
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!

Return to “Off-Topic”