Vecia's 2ND Build: 93 20th Ann. Edition

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Vecia's 2ND Build: 93 20th Ann. Edition

Post by Vecia »

Hello, all! I guess it's about time I go ahead and post my new worklog. :)

This one is a 1993, 20th Anniversary Edition MX-3, imported from Puerto Rico. I don't have a lot of back story on this car other than the few mentions Ive heard about on ebay and craigslist. I drove down to Austin, Texas from Dallas, paid 800 cash and then drove her back to Dallas with no Registration or Inspection and with no seats other than a wicker chair with cut legs for a driver.

When I finally had time to break into her, I learned real quick that this is going to be far more invasive than my last one.

The Engine is the stock, B6 SOHC but the wiring was a nightmare. Some kind of dual key lock out device had been installed and the wiring was so pitiful, Ive got electrical shorts all over the place.

In the first day, I ripped out the A/C Condenser and Dryer due to broken lines and a Condenser that looked like a bowl it had been hit so hard.

The headlights are no-names and the wiring on those have all of the lights doing crazy stuff so I tried to get them at least cleaned up.

The Engine bay took three days to clean and what you see of it in my garage is as clean as I could get it without pulling the engine. Needless to say, I went through a lot of degreaser and towels.

I will be doing an engine swap in this one. I will go with the JDM Mazda Familia 323 BP. Trying to source a GTX or GTR is like pulling teeth and for the amount of money I can save just going with the cheaper BP and buy my internals on the rebuild bit by bit, I think I can build something just as good for my tastes at least.

To start, I think I am going to approach this particular MX-3 like my first one. Suspension, Steering and Breaking rebuilds first, then I'll move onto exhaust upgrade then a little cosmetic and then the engine and trans pull last.

Anyway, you guys enjoy and thanks for having me back.

RobMinhas

Re: Vecia's 2ND Build: 93 20th Ann. Edition

Post by RobMinhas »

Glad you got another one, I was a big fan of your last one. I honestly had no idea there was a 20 year anniversary one or that it was released in PR differently. Are there any other quirks to it being the anniversary edition?

And I like those skirts, despite being aftermarket(I think). Cars body doesn't look bad.

And a GTX BP motor is identical to an N/A USDM one with the exception of the head of the N/A flows better and the camshafts of the GTX motor are better. YOu can save yourself some serious money by just getting a BP from a Pro/EGT/Sephia and buying the camshafts off of clubprotege.com as well as the turbo manifold/turbo/ecu/etc.. Exact same bottom end just that the GTX has a turbo drain bung on the oil pan.

GTR however is a different story, stronger connecting rods, sodium valves and differnt oil squirters making it superior to the GTX and N/A one but a lot harder to come by.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Those look like the Spyder projector headlights we did a group buy on about 5 years ago. :2thumbsup:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Daninski wrote:Those look like the Spyder projector headlights we did a group buy on about 5 years ago. :2thumbsup:
Nope Nope! Vertical LEDs. Cheap Ebay knock-offs.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

RobMinhas wrote:Glad you got another one, I was a big fan of your last one. I honestly had no idea there was a 20 year anniversary one or that it was released in PR differently. Are there any other quirks to it being the anniversary edition?

And I like those skirts, despite being aftermarket(I think). Cars body doesn't look bad.

And a GTX BP motor is identical to an N/A USDM one with the exception of the head of the N/A flows better and the camshafts of the GTX motor are better. YOu can save yourself some serious money by just getting a BP from a Pro/EGT/Sephia and buying the camshafts off of clubprotege.com as well as the turbo manifold/turbo/ecu/etc.. Exact same bottom end just that the GTX has a turbo drain bung on the oil pan.

GTR however is a different story, stronger connecting rods, sodium valves and differnt oil squirters making it superior to the GTX and N/A one but a lot harder to come by.
Thanks man!

Not really sure about this actually being a 20TH Anniversary Edition. I figured if I posted it as such someone could verify either way. After some research, I did find out that there were some 20th Ann Eds released in Puerto Rico in the Miata MX-5. Unsure about the MX-3. The original owner did import the car but a badge could have easily been taken from a Miata before export.

Thanks for the info on the GTX. Ive got a complete 323 BP sourced through a company not far from my house for 600.00 but you mentioned the EGT. That's a definite option for me as they are a dime a dozen at the pick and pull locations here.
Savin wrote:
Daninski wrote:Those look like the Spyder projector headlights we did a group buy on about 5 years ago. :2thumbsup:
Nope Nope! Vertical LEDs. Cheap Ebay knock-offs.
LOL! Yup... Cheap Ebay knock-offs for sure and a freaking NIGHTMARE to get rewired correctly!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Love white! Glad to see it's gone into someone's capable hands. Looking forward to when that engine gets ripped out :)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”