1993 mx3 gs 5 speed no 2nd 4th and rev

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Chartin81
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

1993 mx3 gs 5 speed no 2nd 4th and rev

Post by Chartin81 »

Driving home one night and when I got on the interstate I had all gears when I got off about 10 miles later I didn't have them is the transmission shot or do I just need a clutch? Thanks for any help. Looked up the question and all I saw was replacement capability.
Sleeper6

Re: 1993 mx3 gs 5 speed no 2nd 4th and rev

Post by Sleeper6 »

Check your master/slave cylinder first to make sure theyre actually functioning, its highly unlikely to drop all your gears at once like that without some major noise/abuse, most likely your clutch isnt engaging properly is all.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

Sleeper6 wrote:Check your master/slave cylinder first to make sure theyre actually functioning, its highly unlikely to drop all your gears at once like that without some major noise/abuse, most likely your clutch isnt engaging properly is all.
It shifts fine into all the top gears and I just got the car about 3 months ago so abuse from me no but before I cannot say. It just started making noise in 5 reciently right after that happened I had to drive it because it was a work car until I bought another had the normal 3rd gear problem also right before I put it up

How would you go about testing the slave cylinder and I know it was not slipping because no rpm raise after in gear just the clicking noise in 5th towards the end which I thought was clutch

It feels like its hitting a wall when it's trying to go into 2nd and will gring but the other gears it's just feels like a wall

Thanks for all your help I have researched and researched just to figure out weather I need to just do clutch or whole transmission I am prepared to do both but was kinda hoping to keep it to put in my Klde swap
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Have someone operate the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder, make sure its moving properly and apply pressure to it to make sure its capable of holding it.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

So put in gear and release the clutch? I know it never slips in first gear
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

Ok maybe a dumb question but where is the slave cylinder located?thanks for all your help
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Chartin81 wrote:Ok maybe a dumb question but where is the slave cylinder located?thanks for all your help
front of the transmission right where the shifter fork comes out, you can follow the brake line from the master to the slave if you really have too.. lol
93 GS red (wrecked)
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

Sleeper6 wrote:
Chartin81 wrote:Ok maybe a dumb question but where is the slave cylinder located?thanks for all your help
front of the transmission right where the shifter fork comes out, you can follow the brake line from the master to the slave if you really have too.. lol
Ok thanks will check that ASAP
carkrazy1987

Post by carkrazy1987 »

I am currently experiencing a similar problem. I just swaped a klde into a 323 with mx3 trans. Drove the car for about 10 miles over 2 weeks time working out bugs. Went to move car and I could not get just into 1st or 3rd. Engine running or not. Disconnected linkage and still cannot manually get trans into 1st or 3rd. Clutch operations is good, no air. I can drive the car using 2nd, 4th, 5th and rev with no noise or difficulty. Both 1st and 3rd are on different syncros and forks. Any ideas?
carkrazy1987

Post by carkrazy1987 »

Well I found out my problem. Check and see if ur speedo works. My speedo gear broke off and is floating in the trans causing it to not alow me to shift. So nows trans has to come out and taken apart to find my missing speedo. Woot woot lol
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

Ok so checked the slave cylinder it moves but only about an inch how much is it supposed to move?
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Chartin81 wrote:Ok so checked the slave cylinder it moves but only about an inch how much is it supposed to move?

Its not your problem... Slave cylinder/Master affects more then just 2 gears... Does it shift the gears with the transmission off?? If it doesn't that even more so confirms its not a slave/master problem...
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

It does not shift weather it's off or not

Ok this is in another thread but I would like to know why

It says the 626 mx6 and probe transmission will bolt to the k8 but when you cross reference what fits it only comes up mx3

My question why would it not cross reference and if it will fit what all do I need to change besides speedo and would a 95 and newer transmission fit even tho it's a different obd? Don't wanna get in over my head getting a 626 transmission even tho it bolts up

Thanks guys for all your help!!!!!
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

It only lists them as not direct fits due to possible gear ratio differences. I have a probe mtx in my car now and all is well, just check and see if you need to change your reverse sensor as well and youll be fine ( it just unscrews at the front by the drain plug)
93 GS red (wrecked)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Chartin, the probe, 626 and mx6 transmission works with almost no modification.
The only thing you will be changing will be rearranging the big studs to line up with the mx-3 transmission mount.
the 98+ 626 transmissions some say are built a little better.

Unless you'd like an mx-3 transmission. I have a spare GS trans, but might be a little too far for you to travel.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “Transmissions”