Sputtering help!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lan_gille
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Sputtering help!!!

Post by lan_gille »

Hey every one some what new to the mx3 community last night when I went to leave work and all through today I'm noticing a slight sputter when I'm at low throttle between about 1500 too 3000 rpm wanna have er running tip top any suggestions oh btw it's a klze.
mitmaks

Re: Sputtering help!!!

Post by mitmaks »

Check for vacuum leaks first, any codes popping up?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

Not that I'm aware of the check engine light isn't on
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

Hard to chase a problem with no codes. What ecu are you running?
J-spec ecu's do not throw the check engine light. You can still check for codes though.
If no codes are found, I'd say change the fuel filter, plugs and wires to rule those out as the culprit.
Run some fuel treatment as well and see if the problem still persists.
Then start lookin into vac leaks, fuel pressure, spark, engine compression etc.
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

Yeah that was what I was thinking too just wanted to see if this was common. Not shure as to what ecu I'm running I bought it with the swap done I know she has a 8 grand redline so I assume jdm.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

What year is your car? OBD1 or OBD2?
Check the number on your ecu which is located under the dash behind the stereo to confirm what one you're running.
Take the cover off near the floor on the passenger side to access.
An 8000 rpm redline would indicate to me you have a chipped a-spec ecu or your rpm's are off.
Factory fuel cut on a-spec and j-spec ecu's are set @ 7500 rpm. Let us know what you find.
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

It's a 1995 so an obd2 I would assume haven't had time to check been workin too much.
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

Befor you going spending money on plugs wire and a fuel filter, (which depending when last done, really wouldn't be a bad idea to be done if its been awhile) look to see weather you have a fuel or air leak issue grab a can of brake clean and spray around the vac fitting and where the manifold seats to the heads these are gunna mostly be the causes of your issues if you have an air problem if the idle spikes up after you spray in the cirtant area you know you have a vac leak.

Now for fuel unless you have a good FPG with the right fitting ect to mate up to our fuel rails its gunna be hard to see if you have the right pressure ect. let us know how you make out.

Also pull the front plugs and see how they look that will also be a good indication to see what the problem is as well.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

When does the problem occur ?

Only when the engine is cold, when cruising in that range ? When moving from a standstil ?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

Ok problem has kept going on haven't had the time or money to fix it. Went for a drive yesterday on the highway and it started doing it worse than ever before at first turning it off and back on stopped then on the way back home it got to the point were it really wasent driveable man aged to limp it to a car pool by feathering the throttle. Going to try it again any suggestions?
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Got a spare disty to throw in?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

No I do not but I'm starting to think that's what it is it's like it's not sparking has aftermarket wires not shure when the last time plugs would have been changed deffinately seems like it's not get enough spark
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Pull off your distributor cap and inspect it as well as rotor. It might need cleaned/replaced, spray some wd-40 inside of it before reassembly.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

How about little back ground like how long have you owned the car, did you install the ZE, did you do any thing to the motor before the problem started.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
lan_gille

Post by lan_gille »

I've owned the car since July and the ze was in it when I bought it I've done nothing to the engine since.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”