95 MX-3 l4 to v6 swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaMech
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

95 MX-3 l4 to v6 swap

Post by MazdaMech »

Hello All, I'm looking at purchasing a MX-3 that is a American 95, with a KLDE in it which means that it had the L4 to V6 swap done on it. What complications/problems do I need to look for that arise from this type of swap that people usually have? This guy didn't know what K8 and KLDE meant when I was talking to him and had to spell it out for him, so he had a mechanic do it I guess. Anyways thanks in advance guys.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
RX8SE3P

Re: 95 MX-3 l4 to v6 swap

Post by RX8SE3P »

are you absolutely sure he didn't actually have a k8 in it before?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Savin

Post by Savin »

we didn't get the V6 in '95 here in the states.
I would check to make sure there wasn't a VIN swap done...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Wow I never heard of the MX3 not having the V6 after 1994 in the states. Do people get them from Canada and re-register in the US? It just seems odd for someone with no clue to get a DE into a RS model, even with a mechanic. Too much would need changing, like driveshafts, gearbox (I think), wiring loom, engine mounts etc. I would think the cost would be too high. If it was a K8 to DE swap though, it might be ok.

Wouldn't looking at the VIN number tell the tale? Or perhaps something on the car that can suggest if it was a RS or GS originally.

If you aren't good at mechanical stuff yourself, I'd avoid such a car and opt for a stock GS with a good rust and dent free body and work from there. Frankenstein swaps are ok, as long as you're the guy who did it. Nothing worse than fixing other people's mistakes.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I'm pretty sure 95 is the only year you can't get a GS in NA.

One of the easier ways to check is if ut has rear drums or disc's. Drums are RS disc's are GS. Sure it could be swapped but it's not likely.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Im pretty good at mechanics myself, I've been doing my own for a while and I've deen trained by the navy to do it as well, but yeah I agree with not getting into it with someone else's swap if it is l4 to v6. After not hearing from him after I lent him my knowledge there is something shady goin on and I passed on the whole mess. Thanks for all your advice. He also told me the car is not Canadian, but meh he really didn't know a lot.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

UMM.. Yes, yes we did get the GS in 95 in the US....

Common misconception here. There was a very low production of 95' GS's here in America, as they were left overs from late 94'. I have seen several. this is a thing despite what many will say. They were actually 94's sold in 95' making them 95's. They produced the GS up through 96' in Canada.

If it happens to be an I4 to a V6 things to look at, would be the rear brakes, drum or disk, the master cylinder and booster, is it a 4 cyl or a GS model, look under the engine and do you see the tie bar from left to right. If those things are not there then more than likely it was a conversion.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”