RE: Electric MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
clunet

RE: Electric MX-3

Post by clunet »

Wow, just found this on ebay, an electric MX-3, impressive conversion!

Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECTRIC ... 564wt_1165
Redline322

Re: RE: Electric MX-3

Post by Redline322 »

Clean install, good work. Range could be more if he put the car on a diet though, I see alot of unnecessary weight and accessories.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

This guy was on the forum some time ago, I was anticipating a WL of this. Would have been nice. Looks great! though only being able to drive 45 miles would suck.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

First, I'd like to know how much that car weighs. Batteries are heavy, and, like Redline said, there's a lot of useless crap still in it.
Second, I don't see it as a good install. An electric car with the tranny still on? :roll:
And finally, 40-45 mile range? That makes it, at best, a cute toy. And for a grand there are many more interesting toys you can buy.

Of couse, those who know me, already know what I think about electric cars, especially converted ones, so... :shrug: :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

I'm sure he kept in all the stuff to keep the car feeling stock or comfortable but i do agree that it could use a diet but also 40 miles would get me to work and back about 3 times, that's all i'd need.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I'd be concerned about reserve time and how they would handle deep cycling. He is using 18 x 8v batteries, the larger amount of batteries and running at 144v should help, but i'd feel safer with AGM batteries instead. He cleaned up the look under the hood to make the electronics look less like a maze, but there is alot of extra weight on that car that is purely unnecessary. If he switched to manual windows, taken the back seat out and smaller low drag mirrors or even a lexan hatch would save him a few hundred pounds and skinnier tires would help as well. With a few small changes, I'm pretty sure someone could easily get an extra 5-10 miles out of it.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Surgeonasst222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Redline322 wrote:I'd be concerned about reserve time and how they would handle deep cycling. He is using 18 x 8v batteries, the larger amount of batteries and running at 144v should help, but i'd feel safer with AGM batteries instead. He cleaned up the look under the hood to make the electronics look less like a maze, but there is alot of extra weight on that car that is purely unnecessary. If he switched to manual windows, taken the back seat out and smaller low drag mirrors or even a lexan hatch would save him a few hundred pounds and skinnier tires would help as well. With a few small changes, I'm pretty sure someone could easily get an extra 5-10 miles out of it.

Bet the guy thought about this and said screw that for 5-10 miles more.... If 40 is all I need y rip it all apart :(
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think it's totally awesome. I've seen several conversions that retained the stock manual transmission. It's really just up to the preference of the owner. Some do, some don't.

One of the biggest issues when converting is battery efficiency vs. cost. Good batteries are very expensive, cheaper batteries are heavy and don't cycle as well. Obviously you would like to use Lithium batteries because they're way way smaller, lighter and efficient, but so so expensive. Even AGM batteries are very expensive.

I'd be inclined to keep as many of the comforts of the stock vehicle as possible so long as I could maintain enough range to do my daily driving. Most people only do 50km (30mi) a day so I figure he did a great job.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Surgeonasst222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

36 miles one way for me... Then I could plug it in work my 12 hour shift and make work pay for my gas ;) :megreen:
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

It is a tremendous job! Going up to lithium batteries is the difference between a few hundred dollars to more than 5K USD. It is very common to retain the stock system including the trans, the ATX is the easiest to use and work with. there are many conversions out there with the ATX. because of the gearing it helps with the battery life. This is awesome, I am just disappointed in the the mileage. but then again a new Testla only lasts for 3 hours max life, and most reviews say it is really closer to 2.5 hours.

If I were to do something like this I would use an ATX as well. it simplifies things.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As far as I know and read, ATX is harder to compliment (requiring an ECU to control it) and requires constant power to drive the hydraulics.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:As far as I know and read, ATX is harder to compliment (requiring an ECU to control it) and requires constant power to drive the hydraulics.

That is why in the MX it is easier. :) the ATX has a completely separate controller.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”