MSD HEI mod with external coil

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
windofire
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

MSD HEI mod with external coil

Post by windofire »

hey guys.
i got a msd 6al cheap and wanted to install it with a blaster 2 coil or ss, but i got confused about the wiring.

would it work like this? (it's a ze in a '92 mx)
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
mazda915

Re: MSD HEI mod with external coil

Post by mazda915 »

dam looks confusing . I know me and my friend tried on his mx but he had a ems on it and we could not get it to start lol so we wired it normal but u can always call msd .
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
windofire

Post by windofire »

i spend a couple of hours searching and found a nice diagram for msd with external coil on mazda k series.
i also discovered that they have made a harness for k series with internal coil.
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Not sure why you would need to spend hours searching when it's all in our FAQ section.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69006
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53706

or even here. http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/

Gro was the first to post this as far as I know so kudos to him.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
windofire

Post by windofire »

i've seen those diagrams a tons of times, but i dont want to be using a gm module to trigger my msd 6al. so i found another diagram using an TIP3055 npn transistor.
Black Mx3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Would you mind sharing why you no want to use the GM module. Gm module is very dependable.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Do what you wish, but the GM HEI is a cheap and dependable module and mod and provides a cheaper alternative than to replace the factory one, and making it much easier to service. That module is able to drive a V12

I'm running GM V8 ignition coils in my Rx8. Not one company makes everything 100% perfect, so sometimes we need to source alternative and better parts through other makes.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
windofire

Post by windofire »

i dont have anything against the GM module, but the TIP3055 makes me able to make a much cleaner looking set of wires :)
and here in denmark, the cops send you to inspection if theres anything that looks out of normal :(
Black Mx3 GS

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”