BP swap or boost my b6?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaMan1991
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

BP swap or boost my b6?

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

so ive been thinking alot lately instead of boosting my b6, spending the same amount of money and dropping a bp in.... i just want some opinions :D
My Mazdas
2008 Mazda 3 FS auto - Totaled
1994 Mazda 626 KL 5 spd - sold
2002 Mazda Millenia S - sold
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS 5 spd - bp swapped
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
RobMinhas

Re: BP swap or boost my b6?

Post by RobMinhas »

BP, then boost the BP further down the road.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

thats what im thinking cuz im sure i can find a decent bp motor for under 500$
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

MazdaMan1991 wrote:thats what im thinking cuz im sure i can find a decent bp motor for under 500$
I'd say slowly amass your parts for the engine while grabbing any aesthetic or suspension upgrades, no need to rush.

For the BP, you'll just need to source the engine, trans, axles, ecu, vaf and it may be worth it to grab the engine harness if you don't want to modify your own harness.

I htink you've already got an exhaust mani and turbo,s o just grab a fuel pump, intake mani, intercooler, upgraded injectors, IC piping, BOV, BPT ecu and a down pipe and you shoudl be set.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

I say boost the b6. that is what i am doing, but I dont drag, auto cross or anything it is more of a hobby for me
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

Same here its my dd and I'm just boosting it for the fun of it
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

IMO both are great. A boosted b6de will yield 160ish wheel HP with the factory B6T bolt ons. Though, the BP realm has a lot more support. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably go with a BP. You can find them in the JY for 100-250, and much more options when it comes to turbos and Intake Manifolds. plus they produced the BP through 05' so support will be around for a little while.

Just my 2cents.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

both are good options. I do see a major issue with you boosting your DD. There is a fair expense, and down time when it comes to a build. I have plenty of fun in my b6 turbo. But only stuck with the B6 as my car is ODBII.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:both are good options. I do see a major issue with you boosting your DD. There is a fair expense, and down time when it comes to a build. I have plenty of fun in my b6 turbo. But only stuck with the B6 as my car is ODBII.
right, the thing is I do have a fall back vehicle if anything goes wrong I just hate driving it lol
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:both are good options. I do see a major issue with you boosting your DD. There is a fair expense, and down time when it comes to a build. I have plenty of fun in my b6 turbo. But only stuck with the B6 as my car is ODBII.

There are only issues if you can't get it running :) And you can strap a BP in your car all day long. They use the same sensors and connections. Also, the 96 was really OBDI tricking the system into thinking it was OBDII. You should be able to swap out the engine bay harness for a OBDI engine harness and ECU. Most of the 96's were 95's sold as 96. But that might not meet your MOT standards in Canada, because you would loose the diag port...
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Josh wrote:

There are only issues if you can't get it running :) And you can strap a BP in your car all day long. They use the same sensors and connections. Also, the 96 was really OBDI tricking the system into thinking it was OBDII. You should be able to swap out the engine bay harness for a OBDI engine harness and ECU. Most of the 96's were 95's sold as 96. But that might not meet your MOT standards in Canada, because you would loose the diag port...
Pulling the entire harness (including dash) was not something I really wanted to do when I started out. There is something to be said about having the only turbo OBDII and fastest OBDII B6 mx-3 out there. - back to the topic at hand. If you were to use stock b6 turbo parts, it would be fairly easy to do. Mine, nothing was stock... sourcing parts took much longer than I had expected as well. Took several tries and weeks of ordering/shipping delays to finally get the correct thread type for a simple oil feed fitting. While most of the build is very straight forward, expect something to cause an issue.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Always give your self some time. I did my 95' in a single day initially. But I had spent a couple months collecting everything before I did it. I blew the ATX that same day...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”