Removing bushings from rear suspension?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Removing bushings from rear suspension?

Post by MrMazda92 »

I was forced to cut my left rear spindle off of the car, and the bushings will need to be replaced before I put her back on the road... How do I go about removing them?

The trailing arm is straight forward enough, but the lower bushings are unfamiliar to me(lateral links?)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Removing bushings from rear suspension?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've done the LCA bushings on the Mx-3 and rear bushings on a Civic. How we got them out, burned/melted with a torch.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... al#p520694

After you burn the rubber out, you have to use a hammer and chisel to remove the shells.

You can use a press if you're very careful, but the TTL's are just sheet metal and you will bend them very badly if you make a mistake.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

I used to use a hole saw/tank cutter to remove old bushes instead of burning them, then pass a hacksaw blade through the hole
and cut through the shell till it released its tension then tapped it out.

burning them is fun though hehe
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thank you guys!

Charlie, that guide will be particularly helpful for me!

As it sits, I may be lucky enough to re-use my left rear spindle... I need to take a closer look at it, because the bolt may be all that bent afterall. That'd save me $25 at the junkyard if I can, which'll be nice considering I need new bushings either way. :P
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I got new bolts for the rear at the dealer for $34 I think.

You cannot buy rear factory bushings separately. You have to buy the lateral links to get new bushings which if I recall came to about $380 a few years ago.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hmm, do you happen to know if there was an Energy replacement for those 2 bushings by any chance? I know they don't offer everything for our cars, but hopefully I could at least do that corner for now.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nvm, this 4 year noob searched. :lol:

I found it :P
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Remember that the metal IS thin so do not hold the torch on any one spot for too long. It can cause weak points in the metal and if you hit it too hard it can bend. that can cause the new bushings to not go in properly and or cause them to bind when in use. I used a drill bit and drilled holes all the way around the mount in a circle and it pretty much popped out.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I think I will be using the hole saw > dremel > socket/punch method to remove it, as the smell of burning rubber nauseates the hell out of me. :lol:

I'll be careful with the torch, thank you for the tips guys. :) I'll put more effort into learning about suspension now... I've focused way too much on engines for far too long now. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”