Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
wytbishop

Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

Post by wytbishop »

So here's a question for the masses...

I have been running an Optima Red Top since I did my ZE swap coming on 4 years ago because I had to relocate the battery to the rear and I don't want a huge sealed box back there. Monster cranking power and I have left my lights on for hours accidentally and still managed to get it started.

About 15months ago, it went flat and wouldn't hold a charge so I had it replaced on warranty. I figured it was just a freak. However this week, it happened again and because the warranty doesn't start again when you replace the battery on warranty, I have had to buy another $225 battery.

Have any of you who use AGM batteries had issues with them just dying suddenly for no apparent reason? Twice in four years seems excessive a $225 a pop.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It seems to be an issue with the Optimas. I still use them, but I'm hearing more and more about people switching away. I know people that have had that happem to them, and they just get a Canadian Tire battery for the better warranty.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tavman_1213
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Costco batteries are great an the warrenty is good as well! If you loose your warrenty paper work with crappy tire they won't do s--- for you. Where as Costco they have it on your account that you bought it! Plus they are alittle cheaper!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You don't want them to go dead, if they do-they will usually won't hold a charge again. Personally lead batteries are fine by me and they last just as long imo. I would keep battery on trickle charger when not in use.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

wyt use a yellow top, it is the actual deep cycle that can take a charge after going flat and recoup like a marine battery. The red top is mainly been designed for high initial draw for high compression starting not for discharge and recharging. Just have to make sure you pick the right one for what you want, Ive had my yellow top for 5 yrs now and it was 2yrs old when I bought it from the store ($25 core charge only cause it was that old) and Ive discharged it down many a times and it hasnt let me down once.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Web site http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/redtop/ says, 'The REDTOP will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications'. Sounds like false advertising to me. My Motomaster Eliminator has been killed by my alarm many times and after charging it performs like a trooper. 5 years old and still cranking. Granted it's not sealed but hey, plastic battery boxes are cheap. Sorry, I have no info on your battery I just wanted to be a part of a mooneggs post. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah it has to be an AGM battery because it's in the cabin with me and i don't want to die from lead-acid fumes.

I was looking for a yellow top this time but they didn't have one on their shelf. I think the red top froze the other week when it dipped to -40ºC for a couple days and that it never properly recovered after that. I think the first time the battery tanked it was a similar thing.

Maybe I just need a battery warmer.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good information here... I had been planning to buy a red top myself locally, there is one store that sells them for $145(yellowtop) and $180(redtop), so I had been planning on picking one up.

Now I'm hesitant again...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Dustinlib

Post by Dustinlib »

O'rielly's sells an agm battery for $109, part number is miata.
1994 MX-3 RS, 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5, 1993 323, 1987 B2000, 1983 Jeep Cherokee
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Hey Charlie, since you keep your battery in the cabin, have you considered a "quick release" battery terminal setup? Where you could just use the optima like you had before then have a quick disconnect terminal or connector so you could bring the battery in on cold nights?

Just a thought in case nothing else pans out for the batteries.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I got a $25 battery warmer. This is likely the last winter my MX-3 will ever see, so I just have to nurse it to spring.

If it's not the cold...I don't know. :shrug:
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The truck has dual Yellow Tops. They're showing a bit of age (the secondary is from the Mx3), but it still starts the truck in -25 (second battery doesn't connect during starting unless I use my self-jumpstart button; just the way I have it). It also probably doesn't help that I'm running thicker oil; got an oil change done while I was in Ontario during my xmas leave, and didn't think to put in thinner for Quebec, so would explain why she has a bit of a hard time on those extremely cold days.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Usually a battery freezes only if the charge is low. Beside being toxic lead acid vapors are also very flammable. Hence unplugging a charger before disconnecting the terminal clips to avoid sparks.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Daninski wrote:Usually a battery freezes only if the charge is low. Beside being toxic lead acid vapors are also very flammable. Hence unplugging a charger before disconnecting the terminal clips to avoid sparks.
Just in general lower temperatures make it difficult for batteries to charge and to retain charges, if it's cold enough it will dissipate the charge and then freeze afterwards or if its really really cold it will freeze regardless.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It usually hits -35 to -40 here at least once for a week or more each year. I'm pretty sure that's what has caused my problems. From now on at -20 I'll plug in the warmer.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had had similar problems with AGM batteries.

Thanks everyone.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”