fuelinjects 1.6 to 2.5 swapp. 93 mx3

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
FuelInject225
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

fuelinjects 1.6 to 2.5 swapp. 93 mx3

Post by FuelInject225 »

Ok guys I'm new here and new to really upgrading. I've got myself a 1993 Mx3 1.6l 5spd. I just recently purchased a 2.5 klde out of a 94 probe. Got the motor, trans, ecu, wiring harness from the probe. Sadly the motor has 190k miles on it so I'm thinking of rebuilding it before I make the swap. Please any input on what I need/should do to make this swap go smooth and run good. Also was looking into putting a turbo in it before I drop the motor in but I'm not sure what my options are as far as turbo kits go.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: fuelinjects 1.6 to 2.5 swapp. 93 mx3

Post by MrMazda92 »

You will be wanting a V6 MX-3 donor car.

You'll need the wiring harness from it(far easier than using the Probe one), engine support(crossmember), and many other things.

If you're thinking turbo, the 4 cylinder is your better option given what you're starting with. Look in the 4 cylinder FAQ, and read up on BP/BP-T swaps! :2thumbsup:

I'll say it nicely, since we've all been there, but you NEED to search :) If you've got a question, 99% of the time it's been asked(and answered) previously on this board! You'll find information faster by searching every time!

Good luck with your project, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out! Post a few pictures, show us where you're starting, and we may be able to give you additional pointers along the way!
Last edited by MrMazda92 on October 31st, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

Well I'm set on doin the klde swap. But coming across a v6 Mx3 here is almost impossible. It was a miracle I found a Ford probe. Lol
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

:rant2: No donor MX3....this is not gonna go well.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

I'd have more luck buying what I need from people on here than finding a v6 Mx3 within 500 miles of me. So I guess off to the for sale posts to see what I can find.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

ok ok now we are getting somewhere :welder:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I have personally done this swap and a donor car is well worth the time in searching for one. There are things needed to swap here and there but there are some big hitters needed as well. Off the top of my head the engine wiring harness, mounts, radiator, lower crossmember plus v6 cradle unless you add mounting holes to the 4 cyl cradle, and axles. I know there was more but that's what I can remember. At least that can get you started.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Where do you live at?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Suggest you either get a donor car or go with a BP swap. You need stuff like exhaust as well as all the other above mentioned items. Don't start till you have the parts and you've used our 'Search' function to educate yourself.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

I live in Louisiana. And I mean I've read quite a bit on here. And Im taking my time with this to do it once and right. Not in any rush. Just letting yall know what I've gotten my hands on so far. I wasn't asking questions just asking for input.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

If you're taking your time and doing it right then you have the time to find a parts v6 or just a v6 shell.
Here's the closest one that may or may not be v6
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/ptd/3280722035.html
Can't help you on the area code for that though. But worth the 2 minutes it takes to call and see which engine it has...
One in houston (v6 or not? call the guy!)
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3358182166.html
Muffler looks like a v6, but no front lip, and not stock spoiler...
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3375644457.html
Dallas V6
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3321834460.html
v6 in san antonio
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3317164051.html

It's easier to find a complete donor to work from than to hunt for all the little parts.
Would you rather delay the swap for 5 minutes to go grab a part from the donor, or 4 weeks while you find a place that might have what you need?

I would like to point out that I don't think trying this swap is worth it. But if you do, a donor car is your best bet.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

FuelInject225 wrote:I just recently purchased a 2.5 klde out of a 94 probe. Got the motor, trans, ecu, wiring harness from the probe. Sadly the motor has 190k miles on it so I'm thinking of rebuilding it before I make the swap.
Donor MX-3 V6(If you can't find one, make a list of the parts mentioned by others in swap guides) - SEARCH will save you valuable time! :D
FuelInject225 wrote:Please any input on what I need/should do to make this swap go smooth and run good.
- Donor car, or buy the parts separately online(way more expensive, 9 times out of 10)
- Rebuild kit, look into flatlander racing, I did the search for you... http://www.importperformanceparts.net/i ... index.html
- Click the above link, click "engine kits", then click "topline OEM", then search the page(Control + F) - Type KL, and voila a rebuild kit for the KL engine. Read through the various options, I recommend the full kit, as you're already tearing it apart, may as well go full bore.
FuelInject225 wrote:Also was looking into putting a turbo in it before I drop the motor in but I'm not sure what my options are as far as turbo kits go.
Turbo kits do not exist for these cars, at least not any that are plug and play. Look here, and on ProbeTalk for used(or brand new) setups that are for sale, due to people breaking their budgets.

That's as close to answering all of your questions as anybody will likely go... ALL of the information I posted above is already in the boards, and you'll find it all in due time. :) Just keep your eyes peeled, figure out the search feature, and you'll be answering your own questions in no time.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

Thanks so much that's an abundance of information. I found a v6 mx3 in Atlanta but ill check out the links posted. Thanks again.
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

Ok so. The one in Atlanta is a 6cyl. But its an auto which kinda sucks. But it runs and they want 500 for it. So im thinkin about taking a road trip to go scoop this car up.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

The donor car I used for my swap was also an automatic. The only thing I was missing was a plug for a sensor on the bottom passenger side of the transmission. I left it unplugged. Didn't seem to affect anything. The upper transmission mount was also different but I just fabricated one. Just make sure you have an obd1 manual ecu to match the engine and trans you're planning to run so it'll plug right in to the mx3 engine harness.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”