Car shuts off when brakes are pressed

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sisko182
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Car shuts off when brakes are pressed

Post by Sisko182 »

So I sold my MX-3 today, and naturally, not even an hour after selling it I get a text from the guy who bought it saying that the car shuts off when he presses the brakes when driving. I never once had this problem when I had it for the past 2 years, so I have no idea what the problem could be.

He doesn't speak English very well, so he didn't do a very good job of explaining what was happening. All he said was that the car turns off when the brakes are pressed and that the "rpm is at 0."

I had this car in the shop the other day for a couple of things, one being to fix the back up lights. They tinkered around a little bit to figure out what was wrong with them, so I am wondering if something they did may have caused this.

Searching around on the internet, with only a vague idea of what is wrong with the car, what I have found is that it may be something wrong with the battery or alternator. It is difficult to assess myself what is wrong since I don't have access to the car.

The guy said he wanted his money back since he thinks this will be an expensive fix, but I would rather pay a couple hundred bucks to fix a potential problem rather than take the car back since I didn't have any luck selling this car before this guy, and I need the money for school. So does anyone have even a remote idea as to what may be wrong with the car?
$i$Ko

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781
RobMinhas

Re: Car shuts off when brakes are pressed

Post by RobMinhas »

Sounds like an alternator. Not a difficult fix, or too expensive either. You can pull it and take it to a parts store and have them test it.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:Sounds like an alternator. Not a difficult fix, or too expensive either. You can pull it and take it to a parts store and have them test it.
+1
if he's good at driving manual you should see if he can try to drive without his brakes, I had to do this to get to the junkyard to get a new alternator lol
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

"He wants his money back", is he smoking some thing illegal? Unless you gave him some kind of warranty with the car it's his problem plain and simple. Nice of you to try and help out and all but how do you know there's even a problem or that the buyer didn't do some thing to cause this problem. Nope, I'm as nice as the next guy and I say tell him it's his car and his problem and suggest he take it to a garage.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Is there a remote start installed on the car?
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If it was the alternator, you would get a charge light, typically, and you'l be able to drive the car until the battery dies. Once the battery is dead, you of course can't restart the car, it'll be completely dead.

Car stalls maybe? Maybe something funky with the neutral switch? Also the PCV valve is a common one.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

This used to happen to me because the battery terminals were making a poor connection. put on the brakes and DEAD. Sometimes the battery would shift around because I didn't have it tied down, then it'd do this process over again.

I ended up having to replace the battery terminals.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ask if he changed the air filter or attempted too. I had the same issue on my car when the vacuum line from the brake booster into my cai developed a split and the car sucked in excess air when braking as it used the vacuum assist. Drove me nuts until we found it and fixed it with a $2 tube of silicone.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

couldnt it just be a bad vacuum leak that would cause this?
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Definitely a bad ground. 100%

Clean and tighten the battery terminals. Remove, clean, polish and replace all the ground wires in the engine compartment and especially where the negative battery cable connects to the body. Make sure they're all tight and don't wiggle around.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Sisko182

Post by Sisko182 »

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help. Fortunately, however, I did not end up needing it as he said he and his friend managed to fix the problem. As I previously said, he doesn't speak English very well, but here is what he said in a text message:

"I think the car is all ok now... We fixed it already and I think its good now.. And I think ill keep it... Dont worry u won't gonna go pay to your mechanic..."

When I asked what the issue ended up being, referring to the RPMs, he said:

"The minor man it was just to low it has only 0 and we did fixed it and also the air cleaner need to change but we already got it."

So not really much to go on there, but at this point I am good to go. If he gets in contact with me again about another issue, now that they have been tinkering with it, it is all on them and I will have no problem telling him it's his problem now.

Thanks again for the help on this one.
$i$Ko

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Same problem with mine its the power brake booster leaking vacuum. Continues takeing vacuum from the engine and acts like a major vacuum leak and kills the car =)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”