PoisonDrop's 93 MX-3 BP

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
PoisonDrop

PoisonDrop's 93 MX-3 BP

Post by PoisonDrop »

I can't believe that I don't have one of these things already. I'll start from the beginning...

This is actally my first car that i got when I turned 16. Its a 93 RS that came stock with an automatic transmission, power windows, and those dreadful automatic seat belts. I did plenty of interior work, but didn't really get into the stuff under the hood until I went to the first Flyrtle meet. Seeing all those swaps got me jealous, so I went home and did one of my own. Here's the link: Bought a BP today...

After getting married, blowing a head gasket (the car, not me), and getting a new job, the car didn't get much love. I was tired of it being a daily driver, so I bought a Cavalier (go ahead, make fun, it was cheap with low miles). As it stands, the MX has been off the road for about a year. So far I have just done minor repairs and mantienence, some light body work, etc.

I spent all day yesterday cleaning up the bay. I replaced the valve cover with a minty Mazda version. No more Ford under the hood. I am taking a trip to the junkyard tomorrow to grab some random parts. In the next few days, I will be finishing up some projects that I started over the previous year, cleaning up the car, and getting ready for a new paint job and hopefully a turbo. And don't worry, I'll post some pics later on today.

Current Plans:

- Remove cam gear housing (love that look)
- Custom coolant overflow tank (it's a soda bottle currently)
- Redo oil pan seal
- 5th gear swap (I think that applies to me?)
- SS brake and clutch lines
- new clutch line from SS to slave cyl
- rear disc conversion
- turbo, intercooler, etc
- megasquirt
- car pc
- new speakers
- ms sides
- rear mudguards/possible rear lip??
- paint, of course

I'll keep this list updated as I go along...
Last edited by PoisonDrop on October 3rd, 2012, 1:27 am, edited 11 times in total.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Demonic1

Re: PoisonDrop's 93 MX-3 BP

Post by Demonic1 »

Pictures or I will not believe the validity of your claims.

Nah, do you have any historical pics to help tell your story? I do love a good story.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I noticed the pics on my BP swap thread are missing. I've tried my best but I can't seem to dig them up.
Demonic1 wrote:Pictures or I will not believe the validity of your claims.
I know the rule, so as promised, here are some pics...

Here's the MX at Flyrtle 1.0 in 2005. At this point, I had shaved the door handles and antenna, put in Kirkey seats and harnesses, and a few other cosmetic mods. Like I said, all show and no go.

Last edited by PoisonDrop on August 15th, 2012, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Soon after, I ripped out the stock 4-banger and put in a shiny new BP. Well, it wasn't new, but it had low miles and looked pretty babied. I drove on that for awhile until the head gasket blew, so I replaced the gasket and popped on a new head just in case. Here's the new head. Sadly, it wasn't as pretty as the old one:

Mazda valve cover:

93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Well here's the car as it stands today. As you can see, I put on a set of projectors and removed the side markers. I think it gives the car more of a newer and clean look. I am badly in need of paint. I am quite the fan of flat black, but I may go satin, I don't know. You can also see where I had hood pins. These were solely to align the hood to the front end, which has been pulled straight in the past year, so away they went. I didn't like the look anyway.

Last edited by PoisonDrop on August 15th, 2012, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

The interior is pretty much the same, minus the subs and amps. It's just easier to work on with them out of the way. All of the switches where the stereo usually is are for blinkers, wipers, etc. My column switch broke many years ago, so I rigged this up. Quite a fun project if I do say so myself.

93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

wow u been on this site since 05 and im just seeing your name, great car brother welcome out of your cave and into the world, i hope to see more pics soon!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Got the engine straightened out, looks like the interior needs some TLC. Dash swap!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

What kind of seats are those?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:What kind of seats are those?
looks like kirkey racing seats
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?l ... e=Series09
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

The seats are Kirkey's, but I don't quite remember the exact model. Evo_Spec's link is pretty darn close. I just fell in love with the aluminum look. They used to have stickers on the back, but those peeled off after being tortured in this ridiculous Florida sun.
SuperK wrote:Got the engine straightened out, looks like the interior needs some TLC. Dash swap!
I know, I know. I have a newly recovered dash waiting to replace that ugly cracked one.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Small update...

I bought a set of Megan Racing springs from a buddy for $50. I just couldn't pass up that deal. He's shipping them tomorrow. Of course, I'll take some pics when they arrive.

I also came across a deal on a turbo, although it's a bit too small for my taste. Of course, I picked it up anyway. There's virtually no shaft play. It's a Garrett GT17 from a Saab 93. I'll probably just sell it so I can add to my parts fund.

93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Got a special delivery today...

Its a new front wiring harness, as mine is shorted in a few places. I also put a new cover on the dash. I'll drop it in once the new harness has been installed.

93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Here's a pic of the old dash. I may try to fiberglass it and cover it with that 3m textured film stuff...

93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
racycle

Post by racycle »

woah. Glad you got a new dash , looks like you needed it.

racycle's Worklog!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76991
-RIP

Current Toy
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80470

Please don't tap on the hood. It disturbs the gerbils.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”