KL Knock Sensor. Take the cover off?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

KL Knock Sensor. Take the cover off?

Post by SuperK »

I was lifting the block to put it on it's side to remove the oil pan, and the wire to the knock sensor gets caught on something and gets ripped out of the sensor... sigh. there goes a 100 dollar sensor.

Anyways, I came across a couple posts that state the knock sensor cover can produce a certain resonance that creates a false knock signal, and was removed from later gen KL's (maybe 95+?)

I wasn't attached too much to my knock sensor cover... I mean, we went on a couple dates but that didn't lead up to anything... So I guess I'm going to keep mine off, a few posts recommend that you do this.

If someone has anything to add, that's cool. I don't think it's a huge issue, but I'm taking my top off just in case. Anyone else want to go topless?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RX8SE3P

Re: KL Knock Sensor. Take the cover off?

Post by RX8SE3P »

Take it off for sure. Mazda removed it on 95 and newer engines so its useless. My k8 didnt have the cover and it was a 95.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I like it when the cover comes off knockers er,,knock sensors.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

mmmm topless knockers..

Actually Ive had a knock sensor error for a while now, I replaced the knock sensor and the error wont go away. Maybe I just need to get rid of that cover. The car seems to run fine and I dont hear any engine knock. Good info. Thanks.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's a PITA to clean under those covers, 2 of my engines lack them, and I never had a problem with the cover attached. :shrug:

Honestly, if the cover is resonating, take a screwdriver and bang a few small dents into it, that'll help keep it from making noise. Or, you could go the less ghetto route, and modify it, or replace it with a piece of plexi/custom cut aluminum.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Blake, the covers are already ribbed, denting it even further won't change anything. If someone is having an issue, removing this cover wouldn't fix it... I think it's just a "best practice"
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i have a brand new (never installed) knock sensor left over from my old car. pm me if you want it...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

hi, please sell me your crap. Regards, superk
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Your plate is ribbed? I'll verify from my K8, but my '95 DE had a smooth plate, minus the hole in the center of course. I agree that removing it is silly, you'd be better off welding additional material on, or replacing it entirely, if vibration was an issue.

I did drop 2 IM bolts down by the knock sensor one day on my '93, and it was a colossal pain to get them out because of the plate being gone.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I don't think it's silly, it's not going to fix a knock sensor issue... just helps give a more accurate reading/timing while it's running.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

I wasn't attached too much to my knock sensor cover... I mean, we went on a couple dates but that didn't lead up to anything... So I guess I'm going to keep mine off, a few posts recommend that you do this
ok funniest thing of the day award goes to you kind sir

****WARNING THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS OF NOOB ORIGIN DO NOT READ ON IF EASILY ANGERED*****

I had got a crank angle sensor warning code and thought there was only one so i replaced the one next to the crank ( i got it there is a disty one as well) anyway while i was down there i didnt see any "cover" what is this "cover" that you guys speak of...any pics?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the knock sensor is smack dab in the middle of the engine, between the cylinder heads. it's below the coolant pipes that run between your cylinder heads. Under the coolant pipes there's usually a cover, and under the cover is the knock sensor.

Knock Sensor is the one wire there that runs in the middle, and you can see the cover bolted on.

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

ah ok i just had a blonde moment i was thinking the crank angle and knock angle were the same.......i will log off now and go cry in my closet........
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

"knock angle" doesn't exist. got the crank angle sensor. and the knock sensor. Now please go ahead and unsubscribe to the internet.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

There's another picture for you
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”