MX3 rear side air vents question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

MX3 rear side air vents question

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What is the function of the rear air vents in the MX3?
Im thinking of closing mine up because I think they may be the main reason why so much noise gets in the car.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
whitete
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MX3 rear side air vents question

Post by whitete »

There there to help vent the trunk, - i know obviously - but i was told (They also help relieve the pressure in the car when shutting the doors with all the windows closed. All cars have them somewhere)

also vents exhaust gas -helps-

the vents are to let the cabin air out. Air comes through the cowl in front of the car, out the vents in the dash, through the rear deck into the trunk, then out the vents in the trunk, in theory. They simply allow air to circulate through the car.

NOTE: mine are closed off currently with dynamat sound proofing material because really i do not care about the vents at all, truth is, there is very loud flapping sound every time I have my system loud becuase of the bass. It make the flap move so fast its a plastic to metal sound.

i have closed them up for 2 months with no noticable issues but winter time i may reopen it up for the ventilation with the colder weather?!
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
stepchyld

Re: MX3 rear side air vents question

Post by stepchyld »

They just let air escape.
They shouldn't let much noise in the car. I never noticed. One of mine was damaged when a lady backed into my RS. I picked one up from a salvage yard but the body shop didn't bother replacing it.
It doesn't vent exhaust gas. You shouldn't have exhaust inside the car anyway... I had exhaust gas entering the cabin with the broken one still in place. I replaced it during a semester of auto body, and no more smelling exhaust when windows and moonroof were closed!
I don't really think covering them up would be too detrimental, other than the momentary buildup of air pressure when shutting the doors, may make that tricky.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”