Interior insulation

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tbondo
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Interior insulation

Post by tbondo »

This may be the wrong place for this topic, but I didn't see anything for the interior section. So on to my question. I recently replaced my 1.6 4 banger with the 2.5 KLDE and have noticed a very big difference in temperatures both under the hood and in the interior. This obviously makes the car a little uncomfortable to drive on warmer days. I know the obvious answer is to turn on the A/C but I would like a better solution to the problem. So I guess my question is, has anyone added any insulation to the interior firewall/floor that has made a difference? I have found some online, but you never know if it works. Is it worth while to wrap my headers in heat wrap? If you've had success with something please let me know. Thanks
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Interior insulation

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=17
Appearance
A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)

Where is your temperature gauge sitting?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Temp gauge sits just below half in the cluster. I'm guessing that's normal for these?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You sure your heater is not stuck open?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I haven't checked but the car is comfortable to drive until it's been running for a while. I can tell there is heat coming through the firewall and maybe some through the floor from the exhaust. Basically I think it's heating the metal which radiates into me.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Carpet should have insulating pad on the backside of it, unless someone removed it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I've owned the car for 11 years and the carpet hasn't been removed. I was looking to add to whatever is pre existing in the car. Currently the stock insulation is just not cutting it.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Firewall should already be insulated.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

There may be oem insulation in the car but like I said it is no longer doing the job. I would like to add insulation to the car to make myself more comfortable. I'm looking for anyone that has done this with success so I have a better idea of a good product to use.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

tbondo wrote:Temp gauge sits just below half in the cluster. I'm guessing that's normal for these?
Yep
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Your RS body probably does not have a heat shield there (or has a different smaller one maybe) that the V6 cars have because there's no exhaust manifold next to the firewall on the 4 cyl cars.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

That's a good point. I haven't inspected much under the hood of a GS as I don't have easy access to one.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”